• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another morgan toner: Guess the grade!

11 posts in this topic

Late birthday present - just arrived today. Definitely better late than never. :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Go ahead and guess the grade...opinions and comments are welcome. :)

BTW, it's graded by NGC.

1899Oobv.jpg

1899Orev.jpg

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

1899O66obv-rev.jpg

The surfaces are definitely good enough for a 65 maybe even a 66, but I think the soft strike will limit the grade to MS65.

Another wonderfully original toned Morgan. Boy, how many of these beauties do you have.

The left side of the obverse on Liberty's cheek, neck and nearby fields look scratched. High points of hair is flattened, I don't think it is strike related given the strong lines at the curls. The reverse is fine, so my guess is that it might be cabinet wear. IMHO, my would guess AU50--but given what I learned recently about technical grading versus market grading, it might grade higher--say MS61.

Scott :hi:

Thanks for the comments everybody...this is definitely a tough one to grade and really has to be seen in hand to accurately do so. :)

And the grade is...

3093655-011O.jpg

The surfaces are definitely good enough for a 65 maybe even a 66, but I think the soft strike will limit the grade to MS65.

Another wonderfully original toned Morgan. Boy, how many of these beauties do you have.

Thanks Lehigh. If you want, you can see some of rest of my morgans in my NGC registry set here. It's far from complete as of yet, but I've got a few nice ones. :)

Another example of how I can't grade from pictures. :( I was interpreting the difference in color on the eagle's breast, lower feathers, talons, and arrows, as a break in the luster, and was thinking AU-58. :blush:

Oh well...

Beautiful pictures, by the way!