• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1921 Peace dollar

12 posts in this topic

I have been trying to find 2 1921 Peace dollars. Im looking for one certified MS63 and one raw. The Peace dollars are definately one of my favorite coins, but I am not confident about what my purchase price should be. Which is why I have held off from purchasing this date and more expensive dates. And the only coin shops close to my area are pawn shops. And after checking out their inventory I realized real quick that I wouldnt be purchasing anything. So it looks like im going to start shopping on Ebay for 2 1921s. I was just wondering what a few of you felt like was a good purchase price for a MS63 example. Would I be able to find one for $350?

I was watching one 1921 Peace Dollar in MS62 on eBay, and it went for over $500. Granted, it was quite a nice coin, but I thought that was quite expensive.

Personally, I like the 21 Peace dollars! I picked this NGC older holder MS63 up recently for $420

It has a pretty decent strike and nice cheek and fields. The light toning covers most of the coin, but it has nice luster under it. I'd look around at a lot of examples if i were you, as the quality of these coins in NGC and PCGS holders tend to vary widely, and you'll need to find an example that "smiles" at you. Good luck!

Doug

DSCN2723.jpg

DSCN2740.jpg

Check auction prices for the grade you want. This will give you an idea of what the range is. The authentication/grading services do not usually consider the strike of a 1921 in their assessment, so you can sometimes pick up a bargain in a well struck coin for the same price as an average strike. Look for complete separation of the hair locks next to the cheek (over the ear). (The image posted by Doug is above average or a little better for strike.)

Some of the best struck 1921s are usually found as AUs – they likely come from the first day’s production, before the mint reduced striking pressure and began using dies longer.

I was just wondering what a few of you felt like was a good purchase price for a MS63 example. Would I be able to find one for $350?

$350 sounds too low, perhaps much too low. I just sold an AU-55 (uncertified) on eBay for $271. I will guess you're looking at $400 for MS-62, and $600 for MS-63.

This all assumes the coin is a real MS-63. Naturally, coins in overgraded MS-63 could cost less.

Doogy, that is an outstanding strike for a 1921 Peace dollar! (thumbs u Most of them don't show anywhere near as much hair detail as that piece does. It's much sharper than the piece I own which is in an MS-64 holder.

I was just wondering what a few of you felt like was a good purchase price for a MS63 example. Would I be able to find one for $350?

$350 sounds too low, perhaps much too low. I just sold an AU-55 (uncertified) on eBay for $271. I will guess you're looking at $400 for MS-62, and $600 for MS-63.

This all assumes the coin is a real MS-63. Naturally, coins in overgraded MS-63 could cost less.

im with james. but if you can find one for that in 63 i will bow to thee :)

Doogy, that is an outstanding strike for a 1921 Peace dollar! (thumbs u Most of them don't show anywhere near as much hair detail as that piece does. It's much sharper than the piece I own which is in an MS-64 holder.

thanks Bill! I like her, and think she will remain a "keeper". I'm planning to re-submit where i'd imagine it will come back as a 64. In the surprising event that it doesn't, it really won't matter, it makes me smile whatever the slab grade says.

I have two AU's, one raw and one NGC AU58, that I paid around $60 each for. That was a few years ago. These things have shot up over the last three years or so. I also have an ANACS MS62 that I picked up last year for under $300. I think it was a good buy.

55518-1921.jpg