• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much value does slabbing add to a coin?

10 posts in this topic

This is a follow-up question to a previous post. How much does slabbing add to a coin? In comics, the value from slabbing can be 3 to 10 times an unslabbed comic. I think the same is true of cards. Right now, people are slabbing new modern comics and the value on these is quite higher ($2.25 cover price becomes $25 to $60 with a cgc 9.8). How about coins? How about common coins?

It really depends on what the coin is and what grade it would get. There are some simple common coins that are not worth the cost of slabbing. A slabbed coin I think is easier to sell then a raw one atleast on Ebay, I have a local dealer where I do buy and submitt many raw coins. I think if its slabbed you have a better chance of getting closer to what a price guide quotes for a coin.

show me a specific coin and i will tell you!

in other words waht the coin is worth slabbed and what it would bring raw if in my respective area of specaility

or super moderns that i can figure out on many web pages

for me i have found some colins that are actually worth mote out of their holders then in their holders those are the coins to buy if they meet my criteria for great coins! and all of the time for me great coins are also good value coins well some at least good value to some that are no brainer monster great values

i guess everyone has their own theories

sincerely michael

so if you buy coins worth morte out of their holders then in their holders and have exceptional qualities not usually found on other similar coins and the coin is lower pop and if the coin ius also a great value then that coin you should enjoy and do really well on they are out there but few and far between well not that far but not commonly found without lots of hunting

[[Right now, people are slabbing new modern comics and the value on these is quite higher ($2.25 cover price becomes $25 to $60 with a cgc 9.8). How about coins? How about common coins?]]

This "modern craze" sounds VERY familiar w/ what is happening w/ coins as well. People buy from the mint at a small premi, then send em to get graded. POOF, now someone has a magical MS69 state quarter on their hands. IMO, grading will increase the sale of coins on a sight unsee basis, but i should not matter of it is a sight seen purchase. BTW, I consider Ebay "sight unseen". If what you are trying to do is buy raw coins & use your free NGC grading to try and make some $$ of the deal, I wish you the best of luck. This is a tricky proposition to even some of the most knowledgeble people in the business, but it can be done. Someone w/ little experience, it will be hard to pick on raw coins because you will have to have an opinion on the grade of the coin. Grading coins is not an easy task at all. I have been collecting one series for many years now & am starting to feel comfortable buying the coins raw & submitting them myself if I choose to. I have been totally consumed w/ this series, spending countless hours of my free time someway immersed in this series. In other words, I spent a TON of time learning just a single series and recently have I felt comfortable buying high priced raw coins.

Best of luck to you and if you have any more questions feel more than free to ask. Many great collectors/dealers visit these forums to offer great advice. I can tell you one dealer in particular I would reccomend to almost anyone planning on buying raw coins. Jon Rosenthal of NHRC (new hampshire rare coins). They offer a grade guarentee on all their raw coins, not to mention Jon will go well out of his way to help customers.

Go to Ebay and compare raw and slabbed coin prices. I think for a common date 2 1/2 indian gold coin it might add $50 - $100 more. Many people will only bid AU prices for some raw coins whereas they will bid the price for the grade of a slabbed coin.

If you are hoping to use your coupons to grade some coins and realize a profit because they were slabbed, in my opinion, you will have a hard time doing it.

It is like me using my CGC coupons and picking a raw comic, slabbing it and hoping to turn a profit. I have to be able to recognize the true value of a ungraded comic book and have it slabbed.

Maybe you could point me in the direction of some moderns that will be worth more because of the slab and I'll use my coupons to have them slabbed. I am sure the more knowledgable coin people here will help you.

SeanJ - Jon Rosenthal of NHRC (new hampshire rare coins). They offer a grade guarentee on all their raw coins, not to mention Jon will go well out of his way to help customers.

This is rare in a dealer. Thanks for the heads on one of the greats...

Another is Dale Williams of Williams Gallery/Collector USA in Bozeman, Montana. He's been in the business for years and years and guarantees all of his material. I have bought many raw coins from him, a couple of which came back from NGC graded lower than he had. He offered to refund the difference in greysheet value OR give me a full refund PLUS refund my grading and shipping fees! Unreal. The Manager's name is Dan Wahr (sounds like "War"). Very good people.

Hoot

Added value depends on the rarity of the coin. A MS-63 1932-D Washington is worth lots more than a raw one even if they look identical. The slab is a guarantee the coin is genuine, unaltered and uncleaned. It can take an expert to see the difference.

A MS-69 slabbed state quarter is worth about the same as a raw one to most collectors. A thousand times more of each state quarter have been minted than the '32-D or the '32-S.