• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Type 1 and Type 2 Franklins

7 posts in this topic

So, this whole type 1 and type 2 thing confuses me. I guess there are the type 1 and type 2 proof Franklins in 1956, and then the type 1 and type 2 business strikes in 1958. Can someone explain the differences, and show me closeup pictures? I know it has something to do with the eagle, but that's about all I know. Help!

56types.jpg

I couldn't find anything for the 58.

The left image is the very rare 1956 Type 1 Franklin Silver Half Dollar. On the reverse, there are 4 wing flattened feathers left of perch on the reverse eagle. The four feather left of perch are found on all business strikes but found on only about 5% of Proof 1956 Franklins. This coin is listed as MB #5350 in the MoneyBucks Handbook for Minting Errors and Die Varieties First Edition by Ray Balsbaugh on page 132. This coin is listed in Walter Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins on page 417. Breen 5241. The MoneyBucks Handbook lists a high value for this rare 1956 Proof Type 1 Franklin Half.

The more common 1956 Proof Type 2 Franklin is distinguished by having only 3 feathers left of perch and it has a higher relief to the eagle.

This is info garnered from another post here that I had saved in documents.

Aside from cameo and deep cameo examples, the rarity of the 1956 type I proof Franklin half appears to have been adjusted downward quite a bit. The premium for the fully brilliant examples is not that great whereas the premium for those with cameo contrast is quite large.

The characteristics for Type 1 and the Type 2 are the SAME for both 1956 and 1958. It has to do with the eagles. Here is Breen's write-up on them...

1956 Type 1; low relief to eagle, 4 flattened feathers l. of perch. Found on ALL business strikes and about 5% of proofs.

1956 Type 2; higher relief to eagle, only 3 feathers l. of perch. Comprises about 95% of proofs.

1958 Type 1; (as 1956) about 80% of business strikes.

1958 Type 2; (as 1956) about 20% of business strikes and ALL proofs.