• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a SLIDER---AU58

32 posts in this topic

Everyone post a slider if you have one. I have one and only one and here it is. 1941-S Walker PCGS.

WalkingLibertyHalfDollar1941-SPCGSA.jpgWalkingLibertyHalfDollar1941-SPC-1.jpg

Some nice sliders ya'll. Man Micheal, what stopped that WLH from MS?

Probably a little bit of rub on the hight points. Isn't that the definition of a slider? :devil:

If you look close around 10:00-12:00 obverse you will see some very fine adjustment marks. Kinda rare on Capped Bust Halves. I like them too!

1808o103comp900.jpg

For early halves like stman and MikeKing shared with us one can pay MS+ money for an AU58 and still receive value. (thumbs u

From RGT:

NGC AU58 but I see no wear on the obverse at all, only the reverse. Weird, eh?

1777365-002O.jpg1777365-002R.jpg

looks like the definition of a slider 58 is the graders haven't had their first cup of coffee....I still see no wear on that 1934 Walker--AU65??..some of these other coins could as easily be 64's as 58's...

some gorgeous CBH's here in the US chat section as always..

From RGT:

Looks more like cabinet friction on the reverse. Nice coin Vic. (thumbs u

From RGT:

Looks more like cabinet friction on the reverse. Nice coin Vic. (thumbs u

There is your definition of a slider, Stgecko - a coin that was housed loose in a collector's or dealer's cabinet, and was subject to wear, often on one side, from "sliding around" in the drawer. Another definition is a coin that, given "favorable circumstances", might "slide" into the MS range.

A practical, working definition of slider is any AU coin that can be passed off commercially as an MS coin to those less knowledgable.

A practical, working definition of slider is any AU coin that can be passed off commercially as an MS coin to those less knowledgable.

that must be me then, because I see half of my AU58's as really MS

:o :o :o(shrug):o :o :o

My definition of a slider AU/UNC would be a decidedly AU coin that's so nice that the graders might be willing to forgive a little rub on a good day.

Conversely, this 1834 NGC MS61 PROOFLIKE 50C is an UNC coin with just enough cabinet friction on it that it could be deceiving at a glance. The friction is quite minimal under close observation, and the luster is actually unbroken across what are merely softly struck high points. The untouched deeply mirrored fields are a dead giveaway, however.

59062-1834o50.jpg.952ef3132c555342ba59c85bfcd97124.jpg

59063-1834r50a.jpg.6dd39a65b468e8e8c79ff9831eb8dd1f.jpg