• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone got $17K I can borrow?

14 posts in this topic

This certifies that I have examined the accompanying coin and that I unhesitatingly declare it a genuine 1878 eight tailfeathers proof, VAM 9, the die of the President Hayes coin and of the other presentation strikings of March 11, 1878, in the same die state (The business strikings from these dies are all later, showing cracks though letters not present on the proof.)

Respectfully submitted

Walter Breen."

That and $3.50 will get you a latte at Starbucks...

lol

Does anyone know, specifically, who this coin was "presented" to?

Good question.

It is a beautiful coin with sharp, sharp details! I wish that I were Bruce sometimes...nah...I'm better lookin' than TDN so...nevermind. :grin:

I've heard that Breen is an interesting character, in more ways than one. I believe it was David Lawrence that told stories of him writing authentication letters for just about anyone who would pay the fee.

His opinions on many coins have been proven wrong over the years. However, I don't believe that this makes him any less of an expert and the fact that he charged for his letters means nothing. The TPG routinely make these same mistakes.

He did however claim many things as fact that he had no proof for.

Respectfully submitted

Walter Breen."

They have a Starbucks in Chino now?

Respectfully submitted

Walter Breen."

They have a Starbucks in Chino now?

I've yet to see a place that doesn't have a Starbucks nowadays. If people were as addicted to saving that $6 for a cup of coffee as they are to drinking highly overpriced caffeine shots, America would be in a much better position.

I've yet to see a place that doesn't have a Starbucks nowadays. If people were as addicted to saving that $6 for a cup of coffee as they are to drinking highly overpriced caffeine shots, America would be in a much better position.

I think it has more to do with being trendy than with the coffee.

Breen was a convicted, pervert who molested young boys, among other things. Many of his citations have evaporated since his death.

"Proof" is strong wording. I like the description of them as "presentation pieces".

Anacs originally certified it as a proof. How did they determine that it is actually a "business strike"?