• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Cool Coin and a Cool Slab

11 posts in this topic

I just had to share this coin that I found on that famous online auction site. There is also a nice description of the slab itself in the auction write-up.

No, I am not bidding. If you are interested, good luck and bid well!

Scott :hi:

The holder is mighty cool, but from what I know I'm going to have to disagree with the grade. I though high point darkening like is exhibited on this coin was indicative of rub - it should only grade AU (high AU, but AU nonetheless). Is this an AU-63? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think those are THE ugliest of the ugly slabs, but for some reason, people go bananas over them. It will go much higher than it is now!

Is it really curved outwards as it appears in the picture, or is that just a distortion due to photography? If it really is curved, then I agree that it is ridiculously ugly.

I guess PCGS shaped them like a coffin b/c they knew this design would soon be dead! Which they obviously are. This is the first I has seen of this "slab".

It really is curved outwards as shown in the image. They were not that popular during their time of issue likely because there was a substantial additional fee for the holder and also because I don't think there was a box made to hold multiple slabs. They was, however, a green velvet pouch available to house the slab.

I notice that they have it listed as "PCGS 9." Is this a PCGS designation, or did Conder101 create these designations?