• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

On Commemorative Coins Next Year - Boy Scouts

55 posts in this topic

I tried to stay out of this fray because there are two topics that you are not supposed to talk about in polite company: politics and religion. However, there is one thing I want to address:

This article is bringing Politics into the subject of Coin Collecting.I question whether some are using these Forums for Political reasons rather then Coin collecting.

Perhaps NGC can comment on the issue.

When the design and authorization of commemorative coinage is prescribed by law and requires the voting of a legislative body and the approval of the executive body, then politics are very much part of coin collecting. Politics are why there are so many nineteenth century patterns in existence and politics is firmly planted behind the stories of the GSA Morgan Dollars, coin composition, and the 1933 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles.

Scott :hi:

This is a very loose definition. Did all the members of htis Body sit up there and debate the issue of Religion? I doubt it because the Boy Scouts do not discriminate on the basis of Religion. Did the members of Congress debate it because the Boy Scouts do not accept homosexuals?The problem here is that they are not accepted because the Boy Scouts do not approve of their Lifestyle.Should they accept Pedophiles if the Pedophiles sign a waiver that they will not.........?If an Employer decides that they will not hire somebody because of their Sexual Orientation then this is discrimination because they can be fired in the case of harrassment etc among other things and all are adults that are in the workplace.This is a lot different than putting somebody with certain Sexual Orientation in charge of a group of Children. Also it is a private organization and they are only accepting people who adhere to their beliefs.

I guess there would be no problem if Congress decided to Honor "Teachers" and people said "I am not going to buy this Commemorative because of the teachers who have been convicted of molesting Children in their charge.

I see no problem in posting only the H.R. Bill itself so that others can see the News of a nerw Commemorative. From that point then it is up to the individual.Should people not purchase the R.F.K Commemorative or the 1995 Special Olympics with Ethel Kennedy if they dodn't like the Kennedys for some reason?

The Poster nonly published the HR.Bill which was not the whole bill as a "link" and went on to post a whole article that was not only ambiguous but contradicted itself and was erroneous and then expressed their personal opinion about why they wouldn't purchase the coin.

I saw not one sentence by the Poster as to the possible merits of the coin or any discussion about why one should or shouldn't purchase Modern Commemoratives etc.Just because a body is Political doesn't mean its decision/s are Political.

We never had to do any religious stuff
Perhaps in the past, many troops did not live up to certain expectations?

Hmmm....is that chocolate cup cake envy?

[T]here are two topics that you are not supposed to talk about in polite company: politics and religion.

(thumbs u (thumbs u

We never had to do any religious stuff
Perhaps in the past, many troops did not live up to certain expectations?
Hmmm....is that chocolate cup cake envy?
Could be ... if you're not supposed to be envious?

Holy . What a waste of four pages, save the first post, as it was at least informative.

This post is also worthless, but it seems to fit.

OK! NO BOY SCOUTS!!

I suggest we do an 80 year commemorative of the 1929 Stock Market crash. The obverse can feature a toliet and money, since indoor plumbing really came of age in the 20's. The reverse can feature a chart of the Dow 100, which looks alot like a mountain peak. The mint will be allowed to have a few "hub errors" in the run. These will only be sold on the official mint auction house "Ebay". All proceeds will go to pay off the national debt. Any surpluses will be shreaded to fight inflation. :)

OK! NO BOY SCOUTS!!

I suggest we do an 80 year commemorative of the 1929 Stock Market crash. The obverse can feature a toliet and money, since indoor plumbing really came of age in the 20's. The reverse can feature a chart of the Dow 100, which looks alot like a mountain peak. The mint will be allowed to have a few "hub errors" in the run. These will only be sold on the official mint auction house "Ebay". All proceeds will go to pay off the national debt. Any surpluses will be shreaded to fight inflation. :)

Witty! (thumbs u

:signfunny:

According to some of the reasoning on here then if Congress authorized a Commemorative honoring the troops in Iraq then some would not buy it because they are against the War.

This is the same reasoning by some on the Boy Scouts .Think about it.People that allow personal beliefs in Coin Collecting are not looking at the merits of the coin/s.They are using their personal beliefs or parroting the personal beliefs of others for whatever reason.

I may or may not buy the Coin but it will be because I don't like the coin itself. There were several people on these forums who said they would not buy the Bald Eagle Commemoratives but it was because they didn't like the look of the coin.

Think about it.People that allow personal beliefs in Coin Collecting are not looking at the merits of the coin/s.They are using their personal beliefs ... for whatever reason.

I told myself I wasn't going to argue with you anymore, but this statement is one of the most ridiculous - related to why to collect coins - that I have read on this thread. How can you possibly think that personal beliefs or desires do not enter into deciding what one wants to collect? We had a talk by someone at our coin club who collects "Biblical" coins - ancient coins that feature people from the Bible that he believes helps to show the Bible has historical accuracy. Many people here collect one particular series because of personal nostalgia - it might be the first coin they ever got, it might be a coin a relative gave them when they died, etc. Some people collect coins that have ships on them because they love sailing. Others collect anything with Lincoln on it because they believe he was the best president in our country's history. In fact, there was a press release by the Mint when the Presidential Dollars program started that quoted a Mint official saying they expected people would have fun collecting the presidents based on whose policies they liked, or all or all presidents. Etc.

Saying that people shouldn't allow their personal beliefs to enter into deciding what coin to buy is about as naïve as I was when I posted the original article thinking it would be informative as opposed to incendiary.

“Why is the universe the way we see it?”

a-brief-history-of-time.jpg

The answer is then simple:

If it had been different, we would not be here!

I'm with Stephen!

A Brief History in Time

Stephen Hawking

Pg. 125

We see it that way because that is how it is. If it had been different we might not be here, or we might be here in a different form and we would see that universe in the way that it is.

We see it that way because that is how it is. If it had been different we might not be here, or we might be here in a different form and we would see that universe in the way that it is.

"We see the universe the way it is because we exist."

(anthropic :angel:principle)

DO not about you guys BUT I will be Buying 15 - ONE for EACH of my Boy Scouts here in MA

DO not about you guys BUT I will be Buying 15 - ONE for EACH of my Boy Scouts here in MA

(thumbs u (thumbs u

I'll be getting one of each.

I was in the cub scouts for a year or even less.

I remember one summer spent in Vegas in the early '70's when I was 7 or 8, we spent the weekend at Lake Mead boating and fishing, etc. A young couple pulled up and went into some reeds and set up camp. In no time they were shaggin' like rabbits. Heck, to a little kid like me it was novel so I tried to sneak a peek by edging over in the water until I was busted by my mom.

They weird part about it was that when I went back to Tulsa for the school year that I said to my cubscout den leader (who was hot!) you know what happened to me this summer?.....

She sent me home when I told her. :sorry:

:screwy:

Since this thread is hopelessly off-topic anyway, I'll just say that I see no problem with the coexistence of Christianity and science/evolution. As Galileo wrote, "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them."

Since this thread is hopelessly off-topic anyway, I'll just say that I see no problem with the coexistence of Christianity and science/evolution.

Agreed. That is a mistake that a lot of people make. They seem to think that you can believe one or the other but not both and that isn't true. The idea of evolution does not deny or rule out the existence of a god and the bible says that god created the animals and populated the earth with them, and that he created man in his own image. But it does not say (other than for Eve and Adams rib) what method he used to do so. Might he have had or let them evolve into their present forms? The two beliefs are NOT incompatible with each other.

You have taken a few sentences out of context in stead of the whole post. You initiated a post not with the total H.R.Bill but a " link" to it while publishing an artice in its entirety that was erroneous and biased. Why not publish the whole H.R.Bill also? It is obvious that you wanted to emphasis the article and not the H.R. Bill.

Collecting a coin with a Ship on it because somebody likes Ships is not Political or Religious.This statement is ridiculous.The fact that you ended your Post with the sentence that you would not buy it because " The boy scouts do not accept Homosexuals".is a further indication not only of a personal bias but it implies that they discriminate which again is not true. Again this was a sentence to try and support discrimination which was the context of the erroneous and biased article.

The Boy Scouts do not accept Homosexuals because it is not a reflection of their Lifestyles.As a Private Organization they are able to do this just like the Masonic Order or the Knights of Columbus.

Collecting a coin because people like Ships is not Political or Religious.Are you going to tell me that if the coin depicted the ship of a Pirate that hey really limed that they would not buy it because this ship belonged to a Pirate that raped and murdered? Of Course not. Which only goes to prove my point that the only personal beliefs that enter to it or the qualities of the coins .

Your other sentence that a "relative might have given it to them" is equally ridiculous. If it was given to them by somebody else then it was not their personal choice but the choice of somebody else.

Tell you what, my Grandson recently decided that he wants to join an organization, here’s a few of his choices of today.

First off many organizations want his youth badly, like the Crips, the Bloods, the Latin Kings, the 18th Street gang or the MS-13's....then there's the BSA. hm

What organization do you think I would like him to consider?

I think there is only one on this list that has a merit badge for coin collecting and I don't mean a badge for stealing those coins.

blah, blah, blah...

Australia has a BS commem this year, that I hope to buy to go with the English one I bought last year, and I'll certainly buy one from the US, next year.

There's always a good reason for inaction, doesn't matter the cause.

I actually hope the mint comes out with an ANA commem in 2012 to commemorate the charter of the ANA. I'll buy that one too ;=)

Again. It all depends on your reasons for Collecting. If I knew of a Stock and I was sure to at least double my Money then do I refuse to buy the Stock because I find out that the CEO is Gay or is spending several thousand dollars of his oen Money on Hookers?

I read today where the Boy Scouts in Philadelphia are suing the Owner of a building they rent because the Owner has raised their Rent solely for the reason that the Boy Scouts do not accept Homosexuals.

Now this is Discrimination because the Owner is singoing them out separately for the raise in rent. If this Owner loses the Law Suit then there is a good chance that the Boy Scouts won't have to rent the Building because they will own it.

People don't seem to understand that the Boy Scouts are not discriminating because of the Lifestyle of others. They are not allowing them because they do not support the Lifestlye of the Boy Scouts which is a Private Organization.

I collect Coins because of the enjoyment I get in collecting coins. I look no further than the grade and beauty of the coin etc.When you start making choices based on Political and Religiious or even Social reasons then you are restricting your choices on the coin/s. Seems a little Naive to me.

Since this thread is hopelessly off-topic anyway, I'll just say that I see no problem with the coexistence of Christianity and science/evolution.

Agreed. That is a mistake that a lot of people make. They seem to think that you can believe one or the other but not both and that isn't true. The idea of evolution does not deny or rule out the existence of a god and the bible says that god created the animals and populated the earth with them, and that he created man in his own image. But it does not say (other than for Eve and Adams rib) what method he used to do so. Might he have had or let them evolve into their present forms? The two beliefs are NOT incompatible with each other.

That's not true. You must choose one or the other. The two theories cannot be merged.

Evolution supposes that over millions of years through death and struggle, life evolved to what it is today.

Christianity says that death enter the world through one man--Adam. So, if this is not true then Jesus was a fool and died for nothing.

Also, in the biblical account of creation, the plants were formed before the sun. If a day was an eon then how could the plants grow without light?

So, pick a theory, any theory, study it and decide for yourself if it makes rational sense or not. There's plenty of info available to those who are interested.

www.answersingenesis.org

www.icr.org

Thank you for telling God how he is allowed to do things.

Also, in the biblical account of creation, the plants were formed before the sun. If a day was an eon then how could the plants grow without light?

Book of Genisis Verse 11 - 13

001:011 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb

yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his

kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.

001:012 And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed

after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in

itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

001:013 And the evening and the morning were the third day.

Book of Genisis Verse 1 - 5

001:003 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

001:004 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the

light from the darkness.

001:005 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called

Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

Light came first. :)

Sorry I see the book of genisis as a metaphorical story used to explain something to people by people who really didn't know how it happened, so you make up a nice story just as every other religion created its own creation story. I wouldn't take any of them literally.

I don't think it's right to continue the evolution and God debate here in this thread. Please follow this link if you are interested in continuing it here. I believe we owe it to the original poster to free up their thread.

I don't think it's right to continue the evolution and God debate here in this thread. Please follow this link if you are interested in continuing it here. I believe we owe it to the original poster to free up their thread.

I agree with you on this. I just wasn't going to let such a blatantly biased article go by without comment. This is still a country based upon Judeo-Christian morals even though our colleges are brainwashing our youths to buy into a theory that is nothing but elaborate fairy tales of of misinformation and lies.

But that is the last said about the subject.