• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seeking Opinions On This 1946 Iowa Commem (Lg Images)

16 posts in this topic

This coin arived today. I don''t have an NGC Registry Set of Classic Commems. I do have one at PCGS. I purchased this coin with the thought of sending it in to PCGS as a crossover. Now that I have the coin in hand, I'm torn. Has the lustre to go 67, IMO. But the old holder has value also. The price point from 66 to 67 for the Iowa Commem is not that great. I may have to chew this one over a bit. ;)

DSCN6128.jpg

DSCN6129.jpg

OTT

DSCN6136.jpg

DSCN6137.jpg

Halogen

DSCN6138.jpg

DSCN6139.jpg

I think it would be silly to spend money to try to cross that (very nice looking) coin. If you want one in a PCGS holder, buy it that way - there are certainly plenty of them to choose from. Enjoy the coin for what it is and forget about what holder it's in.

I think it would be silly to spend money to try to cross that (very nice looking) coin. If you want one in a PCGS holder, buy it that way - there are certainly plenty of them to choose from. Enjoy the coin for what it is and forget about what holder it's in.

White man speak with straight tongue.

Still, I'd crack it and send it in to PCGS and hope for a 67 since that is the slab you collect.

Lee,

Thats a gorgeous Iowa. It's a tough call and there price difference in grade is minimal as you said. While there are a lot of these out there IMO they are still an under-rated piece especially when you can find them attractively toned.

Here's mine in PCGS 67

GEVAN-UFMSP-June2007BeachTrip042.jpgRPGOS-XEWTS-June2007BeachTrip043.jpg

This coin arived today. I don''t have an NGC Registry Set of Classic Commems. I do have one at PCGS. I purchased this coin with the thought of sending it in to PCGS as a crossover. Now that I have the coin in hand, I'm torn. Has the lustre to go 67, IMO. But the old holder has value also. The price point from 66 to 67 for the Iowa Commem is not that great. I may have to chew this one over a bit. ;)

Pssst. NGC's registry accepts PCGS slabs. hint hint

I appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts and comments!!

(thumbs u

In my experience, this is not a difficult coin to locate in very high grades. If you need one in a PCGS holder, buy one. This one looks lovely in it's current no-line holder!

Pssst. NGC's registry accepts PCGS slabs. hint hint

Precisely (thumbs u The PCGS policy of including only their coins in their registry excludes my participation over there.

And for that reason the NGC registry, at least on a theoretical basis, should be superior to the PCGS registry because a larger pool of graded coins can be included in it.

As for this Iowa, I think that it has too many marks on the columns in the front of the old state capitol to be an MS-67. But luster often trumps marks when it comes to third party grading so I might be all wrong on that one. hm

If you want my opinion, you should send it to me for my birthday in August. :hi:

Leave it in the old holder, and look for a PCGS slab.

Chris

I'd like to piggy-back on what Bill said. Even though most of the coins in my sets (in fact all of my commems) are in PCGS slabs I use the NGC Registry. It didn't seem to be a level field to do it otherwise IMO.

I think Bill Jones has a valid point that the number of marks on the obverse, and reverse, may prevent the 67 grade. Lustre is king at PCGS but not worth the risk at this time. Happily staying in the current holder. :) Thanks to Mark Feld for the reminder! (thumbs u