• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just curious...what would you pay for this coin?

19 posts in this topic

I sold it on ebay in a no reserve auction the other day and was very surprised at the closing bid. How much would you be willing to pay for this coin (without looking to see what it sold for) and how would you rate the toning? (on a scale of 1 to 10). Please note that it is not available for purchase as it has already been sold.

obv1.jpg

rev1.jpg

obvs.jpgrevs.jpg

obvl.jpgrevl.jpg

im not a morgan collector so i wouldnt have a clue :(

what i would pay is right around 30$ i think.

I'm with Dooly and I am a toning guy....I could see that bringing around $80 to $90 easily on Ebay and with a few folks that want it.....$120 isn't out of the question. I personally wouldn't have any concern paying upwards of $80 for it and I woiuld give the toning around a 4 on the scale.

This is the type of coin that I can routinely pick up at shows for $60 to $75 and flip for a profit on Ebay as long as it's graded by one of the top 3 TPGs.

By the way....if you use a photo like that on Ebay you are losing a lot of money....don't you know you have to make the image look just like the coin in hand but tweeking just a bit.....here you go:

obv1.jpg

There now you should list it with a BIN of $229 and watch it fly out the door :devil:

By the way....if you use a photo like that on Ebay you are losing a lot of money....don't you know you have to make the image look just like the coin in hand but tweeking just a bit.....here you go:

obv1.jpg

There now you should list it with a BIN of $229 and watch it fly out the door :devil:

Shane, you're my buddy, so I hope you won't be offended when I say that I think your photo has been tweaked to the point that you would be misleading buyers. The blues in the field at 3:00 and on Liberty's ear do not exist in my opinion.

Chris

I'm with Dooly and I am a toning guy....I could see that bringing around $80 to $90 easily on Ebay and with a few folks that want it.....$120 isn't out of the question. I personally wouldn't have any concern paying upwards of $80 for it and I woiuld give the toning around a 4 on the scale.
That's what I was thinking too...if it was a higher grade I would have kept it as this is one of my favorite toning patterns for morgans.

I was very surprised by the sale price...$72.67. doh! A few days before I sold a similarly toned MS64 morgan for $115...oh well. You win some you lose some. (shrug)

I would pay $85, and rate the toning as 6/10, but I don't have much experience in this.

Happy birthday, by the way! :)

Thanks!

That's what I was thinking too...if it was a higher grade I would have kept it as this is one of my favorite toning patterns for morgans.

I was very surprised by the sale price...$72.67. doh! A few days before I sold a similarly toned MS64 morgan for $115...oh well. You win some you lose some. (shrug)

Daniel, I really think that the economy may be having it's effect on this aspect of the hobby. The people who would ordinarily bid a little higher just aren't chasing these. It was just 18-24 months ago that I nearly died when I had to pay $50 for a full tank of gas...........then it rose to $60.............and then $70. Just today, I topped off my tank at Sam's Club...........less than half a tank costed $50.

I won two of your Morgan's for a combined total of $127.50, and I thought that the high bids would be much more. The people who can afford to pay substantial premiums just aren't interested in these because they aren't "monsters".

Chris

obv1.jpg

Shane, you're my buddy, so I hope you won't be offended when I say that I think your photo has been tweaked to the point that you would be misleading buyers. The blues in the field at 3:00 and on Liberty's ear do not exist in my opinion.

Chris

I think that was the point of his post. I think (hope) he was being sarcastic.

I was accurately representing Ebay photo's....I wish I were joking about that but it seems tweaking images is the only way to go for most sellers on Ebay which is a real shame since there are plenty of buyers out there willing to pay top dollar for coins with color that does not exist.

So Chris......you are right....I am sure the color does not look like that in hand but I know a quick search of Ebay will find hundreds of toners that are imaged in the same way doh!

Happy Birthday Daniel. I like your coin and would pay a small premium for the toning. I gave $60 for a rim toned 86 yesterday graded NGC 64. (thumbs u

Chris...I think you are right. I've been looking at prices realized for coins for the past few months and the economy is definitely starting to affect coins, especially those valued in the <$300 range. Might be time to sell off my remaining inventory and see what happens to the market in the next few months.

Shane...in hand the coin looks exactly like my first pair of images. At times it does seem like those who juice their images to death get undeserved premiums, doesn't it? ;)

Irvin...thanks!

As I am sure everyone knows by now, I collect rainbow Morgans. I would pay $75 for this coin because the majority of the toning is nice but not spectacular. However, the thin rainbow toning on the right periphery adds a great original touch that may get me to bid between $100-$125.

I agree with Shane that better photos may have driven a higher price in your auction. The other factor that is hard to capture in photos is the luster. The toning without good luster can seem flat and dull. Does the coin have above average luster?

If your original images are accurate, then this is not big premium color. I personally wouldn't pay more than about $50 wholesale, which probably equates to $75, maybe $100 retail at the most.

Chris...I think you are right. I've been looking at prices realized for coins for the past few months and the economy is definitely starting to affect coins, especially those valued in the <$300 range. Might be time to sell off my remaining inventory and see what happens to the market in the next few months.

On the contrary, I think now is a bad time to sell if you don't need the cash for immediate expenses.

Chris