• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inspired by another thread.... is there a single counterfeit or two you want?

9 posts in this topic

I had the chance to buy a counterfeit high relief Saint (Omegaman counterfeit) for a little over melt. I now regret not buying it.

Oooh, if I could have gotten the money together, I would have snatched that one up.

The 1969 doubled die Lincoln cent counterfeit comes to mind. Though AFAIK all of them were seized. There's also a certain Spanish Americana colonial 2 reales counterfeit I want that has retrograde legends. It's probably not that available. I'd also like more bust half counterfeits, especially the 1842, the super-crude 1838-O, and the 1836-O. And maybe some other dates of Henning counterfeits.

I had the chance to buy a counterfeit high relief Saint (Omegaman counterfeit) for a little over melt. I now regret not buying it.

Oooh, if I could have gotten the money together, I would have snatched that one up.

I had the money but I though it would be better used to buy a genuine Saint. Big mistake. It's the only time I had a chance to buy this coin and I've never seen another since. Sometimes when opportunity knocks..................

I am not certain if this qualifies as a "counterfit" but it is a "not genuine" coin. The infamous 1883 rackateer five cent piece, gold plated in an effort to be passed off as a $5 Gold Piece. Already owned however.

Rey

IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

great post rey, I have wanted one of those 1883's also....I also wouldn't mind a 1794 Flowing Hair half..

I'd love a racketeer nickel with the plating still partially on it.

I was asking my local dealer how often they saw counterfeits. He went into the back and brought out a 1943 Morgan dollar. I'd like to have something like that, just for amusement.

Although I'd bet I have some counterfeits already, because I have a few ancient coins. From what I read of those, it's pretty hard to detect the fakes, so I'd bet one of my denarii is a phonarius.