• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good deal or waste of time and $21?

13 posts in this topic

Well, I just made myself the winner of this "Buy it Now" auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=360052038943

The coin lists with Numismedia for $53.75. The picture and the description match. This appears to be a really good deal for me. Did I miss something here? What are the odds that the seller makes good on the sale? I suspect that this was supposed to be listed at $46.99 and the $16.99 was a mistake.

What do you guys think?

I'm betting he probably makes good, but I wouldn't buy from him. He routinely lists strike doubling as hub doubling at highly inflated prices, at least on Franklins, which I watch closely.

I'm betting he probably makes good, but I wouldn't buy from him. He routinely lists strike doubling as hub doubling at highly inflated prices, at least on Franklins, which I watch closely.

Other than claiming good strike quality he doesn't seem to be making outlandish claims. (I'm not much of a fan of franklins though) I'm not spotting any claims of Doubling but he seems to think that everyone of his "BU" franklins is FBL.

Being a QTR person this was a good deal. Not the find of the century, but a good buy. This is all Assuming the QTR is a true MS 66. Hard to tell from the photo. Good Luck!

On this particular example I will disagree with Bruce and would say you might have done better pulling a coin from a roll. The 1954-S Washington quarter was generally a very weakly struck coin, but one that came with terrific luster. It is not unusual to find MS64-MS66 coins of this date raw and offered for sale at less than the $21 spent on this coin. Of course, those coins would be raw and not slabbed. Personally, I would rather pick out a nice raw one for $10 then to buy something essentially sight-unseen for $21, but that is just me.

1954-S is a notoriously common bank hoard date. There must still be many thousands of OBW rolls in existence. I have seen dealers sell them literally dozens at a time.

However, for $21 bucks, almost any already-certified coin is a good deal. Heck, you paid for certification and got the coin for free!

By the way, the 1954-S is also a common bank hoard date for other denominations, including the cent, dime and half-dollar. It is not quite so common for the nickels, though still hardly rare.

On this particular example I will disagree with Bruce and would say you might have done better pulling a coin from a roll. The 1954-S Washington quarter was generally a very weakly struck coin, but one that came with terrific luster. It is not unusual to find MS64-MS66 coins of this date raw and offered for sale at less than the $21 spent on this coin. Of course, those coins would be raw and not slabbed. Personally, I would rather pick out a nice raw one for $10 then to buy something essentially sight-unseen for $21, but that is just me.

Tom me and you both. I would much rather save and buy a raw one. I just happen to know he needs it for a registry set. In fact I have a whole set of them raw. ;)

Current NGC population is 1642 in MS66, 251 in MS67, and 3 MS68s. If it were a Roosevelt with those numbers, $16.99 would be too much to pay, so for a quarter, it should be about right, especially since Bruce seems to think so - he follows the Washington market, and knows it far better than I.

I think you did well. I had a 54s in a PCGS ms65 slab and I know it was a 64 at best. So I sold it to my local dealer, and he paid dealer price I believe it was $26. (not sure what he uses for pricing) As he buys the grade on the holder. (thumbs u

Tom me and you both. I would much rather save and buy a raw one. I just happen to know he needs it for a registry set. In fact I have a whole set of them raw. ;)

I hadn't realized this was a registry-fueled purchase. With that in mind I see little downside to the purchase of the coin. By the way, Bruce, your raw Washington set must be killer. hm:grin:

The guy lives near me. Let me know if you have a problem. ;)

Thanks but I'm thinking I shouldn't. :) I was notified today by PayPal that he made a label to mail it to me. Hopefully he puts the right thing in the envelope. :)