• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's in the presentation

15 posts in this topic

I've almost completed my Booker T Washington Set. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on presentation for this 18 coin set. All coins are graded by either NGC or PCGS and are MS65 or above. I was thinking of putting together a single multislab from NGC. I'd have to get a few crossed over from PCGS to do it but that's okay. I wonder if NGC even does a multiholder of that size. Has anyone seen a full set of these and if so how did they present them? I've got 14/18 coins so far and hope to have the set finished within a couple of months depending on coin selections that are available to me. I was also wondering if I did put them all in one holder then I'd probably have to sell it that way wouldn't I? Of course I plan on keeping them for quite some time as I still want to complete a full 144 coin set. Any thoughts on my inane rambling appreciated.

A single NGC holder for the 18 coin BTW would be very impressive, paying to cross to NGC would cost a bit, but you might get an upgrade or two. Selling such a set might be a problem.

I do not know if NGC offers such a service.

I wouldn't try to cross any of the coins or attempt to place them all in one holder at this time. You can always try to do those things later if you decide that's what you know you want.

In the mean time, you might locate other examples already in NGC holders which wouldn't require cross-over fees. If you like them as much as or better than the ones you have now, you could acquire them and sell off the duplicates. The bottom line is that in the absence of a great reason to do otherwise, you might as well keep your options open.

I agree in general with Mark's viewpoint. From a strictly technical viewpoint, given the size of the NGC multicoin holder I'd be surprised if you could put more than 4 BTW coins (6 at the outside) in a holder.

Let me preface by saying: I assume you intend to keep these coins.

As far as I know, none of the BTWs is terribly expensive, even in MS-65. Therefore, call me utterly insane, but I would bust every coin out of its slab and transfer to a Dansco album. I would keep the inserts, however, and carefully adhere them to a cardboard page cut to the same dimensions as a Dansco page, and let this be the preface to my album.

With 18 coins, that's one page of slab inserts, and two pages of coins. A three page album would make for a fantastic presentation.

Finally, I would consider continuing the set with Washington/Carver coins in a similar presentation fashion. You could end up with an absolutely fantastic album of coins, and still maintain their formerly certified status.

Many folks here will undoubtedly disagree with my suggestion, but honestly, I can think of no more attractive presentation that involves slabs.

GOOD LUCK whatever you decide! Looking forward to your results.

My knowledge of the NGC multi-coin holder is that they probably could only do four or five half dollar coins per holder. Maybe you could do the first five years in (3) multi-holders and the last year in (1) multi-holder, or whatever? NGC can advise you better on this and I'm sure they would be happy to do so.

I don't think NGC offers a multiholder larger than the one they already use.

There are several companies that offer wooden (cherry, walnut, mahogany, etc.) presentation cases that will accommodate NGC and PCGS slabs. The advantage of housing them in this fashion would be that you could upgrade an individual coin if you chose to do so or you could sell them individually at some time in the future. It also makes it much easier to examine the coins individually.

Also, if you really want to "jazz it up" you could go to almost any trophy shop and have a brass name plate made to identify the series. You can even request that it be made to use screws to anchor it as opposed to the self-adhesive kind. If and when you do decide to sell the set (individually) you could keep the presentation case for some other series, and just order a new name plate.

Chris

I actually prefer James' suggestion. (thumbs u

I have a complete set of modern commem dollars in Dansco albums. I agree: it's all in the presentation!

I have all of the proof modern half commems in NGC holders but I plan on selling those and eventually getting a complete set raw for presentation in a Dansco coin album.

I will echo the thoughts of the other board members who believe that you will likely only be able to get four or five half dollars within any single NGC multi-coin slab. Therefore, if you really want them in this format your best bet would be to have them slabbed by year, which would mean three coins per slab. However, I also agree that you will acrue enormous fees for crossovers and reslabbing relative to the value of the coins and you will also make it harder to sell your coins in the future since most folks don't want to buy groups. I would keep them as is.

Excellent idea, James.

Also if you wished to leave them in the current slabs-have a wooden presentation box made to fit each individual slab(the lid could just cover the coins or hold half of the collection. For the money you would spend crossing over and ngc's holders I feel you could have an extravagant teak or walnut box made to fit your items and still maintain their valuable grades.

Good luck on a great collection. Whichever avenue you take, please post us pictures.

Jim

NGC doesn't make any multi-coin holder larger than 6 coins.

How about a compination of what you wanted to do and what James suggested. A custom Capital Plastics holder, bust the coins out of the slabs and have enough space between the holes to use the slab labels to label each coin instead of the standard gold date/mint labeling.

Wow, some excellent ideas! I do have the Dansco Albums already. I've been using them to house the raw commems. I did check and there is no NGC holder of that size. Someone is suppose to call me back with some different ideas from NGC. You all are right in the fact that I intend to keep the set for quite some time. I was already thinking about a nice wooden box for my first spouses of 2007 and perhaps doing the same thing per year for the BTW's. I find the idea of James quite interesting.

EZ thanks for the link, that is a very nice set of coins! I still need 2 from that year so it has got me thinking....