• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Think this is for real?

12 posts in this topic

The link is broken but it sure looks genuine to me. Makes on wonder why it hasn't been slabbed already, though.

honestly, it looks very real. The slight copper color is just ruboff from the dies me things, pretty standard. I think his estimate of 20k is a wee bit high, and the 200 might even be a little high because of it's circulation.

Silver Penny HERE!!

I for one am skeptical of this one, the devices are too well struck on both the obverse and reverse along with too much of the rim remaining. Something was done to this off struck copper cent planchet to alter the superficial appearance….but, this is just my opinion. (:

This dealer is a primarily a stamp dealer, who sells a few coins. It could be genuine but is it the only one? If so, how did it get into the die from a bronze blank feeder being smaller than a cent blank? It would have been fed through with a bronze blanks into the die. That makes me suspicious, it would have been dropped out, plus the scan makes the coin look cleaned. If it was certified, I would be less skeptical, especially on Ebay.

Dime planchet is much thinner and smaller diameter than cent. Diameter looks right but fully struck Lincoln doesn't?

1962 cent on a dime planchet. Seller says he will sell "subject to certification."

What do you think?

Ebay link

573f_1_sbl.JPG

5840_1_sbl.JPG

I'm confused! If the word "TRUST" is closest to the edge of the coin on the obverse, shouldn't "CENT" on the reverse be closest to the edge?

Chris

This dealer is a primarily a stamp dealer, who sells a few coins. It could be genuine but is it the only one? If so, how did it get into the die from a bronze blank feeder being smaller than a cent blank? It would have been fed through with a bronze blanks into the die. That makes me suspicious, it would have been dropped out, plus the scan makes the coin look cleaned. If it was certified, I would be less skeptical, especially on Ebay.

Dime planchet is much thinner and smaller diameter than cent. Diameter looks right but fully struck Lincoln doesn't?

In actuality, a coin struck on a planchet not intended for it only happens on smaller planchets. Hence you will find half dollars struck on quarter, dime, or other planchets, or cents struck on dime planchets, but never vice versa.

The penny is only marginally larger than a dime, so a decent strike is very believable. Just to give you an idea that anything is possible, I've seen a Franklin struck on a nickel planchet certified as FBL.

Not sure if it's real but there have been numerous cents struck on dime planchets.

Yes, year ago I remember seeing an exhibit at an ANA convention where a collector had put together a fairly complete date and mint set of the Lincoln cents ... all struck on dime planchets. :o I believe that collection won the Best of Show award.

I agree that this item should have been certified before the seller offered it, but there is a decent possibility that it is genuine. The picture of the reverse, whcih has a totally different look is troubling however. :baiting: