• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More help grading please?

7 posts in this topic

Hope not to waste your time, but still trying to get a hang of the grading. Could I get some opinions on the grade of these dimes? Thanks in advance.

1947Dimes.jpg

1947DimesBC.jpg

how about you let us know what you think it is and why. then we know how your grading and could point out the good and bad. the red book has a lil bit of grading description and there are other fine books that will walk you through and describe what is what.

also when grading we need bigger pictures ( and even with big pictures its just a rough).

the '47 on the left seems to have a good strike and might be a FB but would need to see the toarch more clearly. the dark coloring i cant tell if that is verd/dirt/corossion......

try cropping the pictures more so you can blow up the coin a bit. if using a scanner use a high dpi or ppi. if a cam try a lil zoom or macro :)

The dark toning spots on the first coin really bother me. If they are black, I would be hard pressed to give that coin more than an MS-60. The second coin could be an MS-64 or even an MS-65.

It's really impossilbe to put Mint State grading numbers on coins from photos. The reason is that you need to look at the luster in person to come up with those numbers. You also need to look at the coin from various light angles to note the small marks that establish the grade.

Thank you very much for the opinions. I will try to post my grades with the coins and reasons why but I am seriously such a newbie that I could well be off by miles. However, I realize I won't get any better without thinking it through and taking a stab at it. Fair enough. I bought the new Red Book so I'll read through the grading standards and see how it goes.

Thanks again for the opinions and advice. My wife is gettling slightly concerned with my interest here as she knows how obsessive I can get about things like this. I always try to tell her I could be doing a lot of things that would be much worse. :blush:

Also, I can post bigger scans but definitely understand that nothing is as good as in person.

Thanks again for the opinions and advice. My wife is gettling slightly concerned with my interest here as she knows how obsessive I can get about things like this. I always try to tell her I could be doing a lot of things that would be much worse.

You should fit in very well hear them (thumbs u

hear you go mate hope you like these

1947Dimes.jpg

1947DimesBC.jpg