• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone have a problem with the grade of this coin MS68?

13 posts in this topic

There is a Jefferson Nickel 1945-S NGC MS68 listed in Superior's upcoming auction. I have inlcuded the link. 1945-S NGC MS68 Jefferson Nickel

My problem is that from the photos provided, there appear to be some very obvious marks on the reverse of the coin. IMO, these marks should preclude this coin from reaching a lofty grade of MS68. Don't get me wrong, I still think it is a beautiful coin and would have no problem with it getting an MS67 based on its eye appeal, but MS68 seems to be inappropriate.

I would love to hear other opinions.

It's a lovely coin that appears to have a thick skin, but I cannot get the images to expand in order to get around the compression issues that are present.

I'd agree. The coin is no more than an MS66 with original skin and some nice peipheral toning. The nicks in Jefferson's hair and the hits on Minticello, along with the very weak reverse strike, all preclude the coin from a 68 grade, IMO. The coin was likely graded 68 long ago and was simply reholdered more recently.

I once bought an MS68 1946 nickel (fatty holder) from a Teletrade auction. The coin was so badly graded that I didn't return it to Teletrade, rather I sent it to Rick Montgomery at NGC, who concurred that the coin was no more than an MS66 and perhaps less. NGC kindly reimbursed me for the purchase price.

Hoot

Thanks for the ebay link. I would not think the coin should grade above MS66, either, and it just kills me to agree with Hoot. hm:o:insane:

I'd agree. The coin is no more than an MS66 with original skin and some nice peipheral toning. The nicks in Jefferson's hair and the hits on Minticello, along with the very weak reverse strike, all preclude the coin from a 68 grade, IMO. The coin was likely graded 68 long ago and was simply reholdered more recently.

I once bought an MS68 1946 nickel (fatty holder) from a Teletrade auction. The coin was so badly graded that I didn't return it to Teletrade, rather I sent it to Rick Montgomery at NGC, who concurred that the coin was no more than an MS66 and perhaps less. NGC kindly reimbursed me for the purchase price.

Hoot

This is good information Hoot as I did not look carefully at the reverse before bidding on this coin. Once I did, I was horrified. At least I have options just in case I actually win. Thanks!

Coins with "carbon spots" don't rate an MS-68 from me.

The marks on Jefferson's jaw and cheek bone were probably on the planchet and not struck off when the coin was stuck. But there are three marks on the top of the dome of Monticello were put there after striking.

I know some people think this minor stuff, but when you get to MS-68, it's something to consider.

I agree with the others, the coin is an MS-66 although I not would call it PQ if the black spots are really on the coin.

Does anyone have a problem with the grade of this coin MS68?
Probably just about everyone other than the original submitter. ;)

I don't know much about high grade Jeffersons. I only own three slabbed ones that I bought from Hoot so I know they are overgraded. :baiting: But, I think MS66 would be a fair grade for that coin. Sadly, most of the coins that I see in MS66 slabs look much worse (not that I've looked at a lot, jut of the ones I have looked at). They look more like MS64s to me.

I agree with the consensus. Another point is that the obverse "toning" is actually corrosion and has already eaten into the surface of the coin. If it were conserved then it would be lucky to make 65.

I don't like this coin. It's a trap with gaping jaws waiting to snare the unsuspecting.

I think the image is lousy - typical of Superior - and would not even attempt to distinguish between grades of MS-66 through MS-68 from just the image alone.