• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For the sake of jom - let's see some gold!

25 posts in this topic

I picked up this rotten piece graded as an AU58 (a question of rub or roll friction) for an AU50 price. smile.gif It graded out MS61 and looks vastly better than most 60-62 coins. The scan simply does not do it justice, but what the heck! laugh.gif

See attached.

Hoot

589a8b569383b_300620-1907NM10MS61NGCob.jpg.4c97dd684f302bf15c37cb82d93b1678.jpg

The key is luster, luster and some...uh...luster! Luster is the backbone of "eye appeal". laugh.gif

Here's a new piece I just picked up. More AU58 junk for jom:

10d-13p_A.jpg

Hideous...truly hideous.

Actually, I haven't seen the coin yet as it hasn't arrived but soon...very soon.. MUHAHAHA...

jom

Yes, a photo pics up lustre much better than a scan. Believe it or not, the coin I posted has a good share of lustre, quite like your hideous piece! insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

Hoot

Just picked up the coin today! Great AU coin. There are some hairlines on the obverse that is typical of AU graded Eagles. Pretty nice however...

jom

Here is a composite of my Wire edge and my regular issue no motto eagles. This image shows the relief changes made to St. Gaudens original design. Gotta love that original design! laugh.gif

1907xcomparison.jpg

Damn BOILER78. He's got a Wired Edge! mad.gif

OK, smart pants where is your Rolled Edge? Heh!

laugh.gif

jtryka: You thought I missed that little note sqeeeeezed in above the Quarter Eagle, didn't you? Now why would you be ownin' one of those? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif A secret fetish you have that you won't admit to? 893whatthe.gif

jom

I think I'm in denile.

denile.JPG

27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

There's almost more (is that demi moore?) than I can take! Great stuff.

I really like Laura Garden Fraser's design as well. (attached).

Hoot

589a8b569eca7_301490-1999-W5WashingtonMS69.jpg.e82b53ddd3f56db3f71b5068d3e52ff8.jpg

just for you jom

Wait...uh...minute... D'oh!

OK, big guy...where's your 20-S? Ha! Got you there...

So, in all seriousness, are both of those YOURS? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So much pretty gold! And Jom, come on, I have to have at least one of those for my type set!

Surrrrre...you do. Uh huh. We believe you...

jom

jom- You do have me there! The 20-s is one of the four remaining holes in my Indian eagle set. blush.gif I bet you can guess what the others are. laugh.gif

This is by far the most challenging set I have ever attempted but it has been fun so far.

jom- You do have me there! The 20-s is one of the four remaining holes in my Indian eagle set. blush.gif I bet you can guess what the others are. laugh.gif

Hmm...33, 30-S and 11-D...or possibly 13-S 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It depends on the grades I suppose too. I have a 13-S but I've noticed that it does come up from time to time but finding a nice AU is very difficult (same with 11-D).

To keep the price down I'd want an AU 30-S also but since most of this date didn't circulate (hey, that rhymes! laugh.gif ) an AU piece is usually a damaged MS coin. frown.gif

The 20-S can be had however. But that last AU58 I saw (sight-seen) was at a Goldberg auction about 4 years ago and the obverse was "cleaned". It was holdered AU58 by PCGS but someone took a Brillo pad to the obverse. Too bad as the reverse was terrific. Naturally, the coin only sold for about $9000 (the typical AU58 might go for $15,000).

I'm finding other dates that are tought. 14-P is very underrated (being a P mint) and the 11-S is also.

This is by far the most challenging set I have ever attempted but it has been fun so far.

That's because you haven't tried the half eagles...lol

jom