• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone ben Following the Prices of these ... OMG

16 posts in this topic

I guess I would have to wonder why someone would pay that amount for that coin when they could have this for a very little more? I believe my investment $'s would be better spent with a proven value winner. JMO

Jim

SeatedDollar.jpg

Holy smokes, those two coins cost about the same money? There is no decision to make in this example.

The point you make is one that I have also made many times. While collecting is and should always be a matter of personal preference, some coins are much better relative values than others based upon their scarcity and future prospects.

If I hadn't been in high school with no money at the time, I would've bought that coin. Instead, I just got two of the silver ones - one for me and one for a friend who was transferring to a different branch (we both worked at a library).

Low mintage and two climbing metals accerated this coins pricing incredibly fast

I've always admired that coin and wish that I had it but I never did spring for them.

I remember when you bought yours, you mentioned the uniqueness of the coin being the only with a bi-precious metal combination in a US coin.

That could also contribute to the price increase. Either way it was/is a good score.

And the hype continues ...

Library of Congress $20 gold/platinum mintages:

Proof 27,445

Unc. 7,261

Virtually 100% of the original mintages still exists.

To those of us who collect early U.S. coins, these mintages and survival rates make this coin "common." There might be one half cent (1804 Plain 4, Stemless) in the entire series that is more common than this coin.

As for it bi-metallic status. the way the government has been of late with creating "rarities" and revenues, look for another "zebra" coin in the future.

My Most recent commenting was on my locating a PROOF one for the set

(Which I finally Did a few Months ago) - This one at 7,000 pieces and the bi metal uniqueness is what is moving this coin along with the metal prices. IF Bill did not recognize it this IS the UNC version ... I bought this coin 5 years ago :)

I guess I would have to wonder why someone would pay that amount for that coin when they could have this for a very little more? I believe my investment $'s would be better spent with a proven value winner. JMO

Jim

Your comparison is slightly flawed. Could you have purchased that gorgeous coin in 2000 for $235? I doubt it.

I am primarily a collector of early US coinage & currency. I do, however own one of these bi-metals and it is one of just 3 modern gold commems I own. Between the original purchase price of $235 plus shipping and the NGC grading fees, I have an MS-70 example that has returned roughly 1,250% on my investment in 8 years. This is one of those coins which will likely continue to increase in value as the years pass.

While I don't consider myself a collector of "moderns," I find it difficult to belittle the collecting preferences of others. There are a lot of people out there who would love to own this coin and this is what will drive its value in the future.

While I don't consider myself a collector of "moderns," I find it difficult to belittle the collecting preferences of others. There are a lot of people out there who would love to own this coin and this is what will drive its value in the future.

Obviously, you have an issue with others having opinions-well, get over it. Anyone on these boards know that I do not "belittle" anyones preferences-regardless of their tastes.

As to my slightly flawed comparison, as long as we are time traveling, one could have originally had the other coin for $1. I spoke of the present-obviously people are paying the price of $2200 plus as there are many for sale at that and above.

I merely noted why would anyone pay that for the one when the other is available at a little above that price. While your opinion was just as valid as another it is a shame that you ended with mud throwing. JUST MY OPINION! (Sorry for the yelling)

I hope in the future you are a little more patient with other's opinions whether you agree with them or not, as this forum is made up of many different opinions on many different areas.

Jim

rantrant

Wow. Just.... wow.

Is anyone else seeing the same thing in my post as Jim? I merely stated that I (as in ME) find it difficult to belittle other's collecting preferences. Did I say you were doing that? "Get over it," indeed.

If given the choice between the two coins at the same price today, I would buy yours. On that we can agree.

Seems to me its YOU that doesn't like people disagreeing with YOUR conclusions or challenging your assertions. I will try not to make that mistake again, lest it causes you to have a coronary.

I apologize to the forum for my posts as they have taken away from Mike's most informative post and that was certainly not my intent to trash Mike's post but to make a point of value vs. quality. I do now and will continue to take offense when someone says I have belittled anothers purchase of any kind.

My last post on this issue I promise.

Jim

As a type collector, I have no desire to obtain Jim's half since I already have the type. I'd much rather have the bi-metalic commem. :cloud9:

Vic, my selection was not a half but is a $-maybe it was a bad choice and deflated in value-go figure. lol

A buck, eh? hm I may have to reconsider my last statement. :grin:

Mike , that's the one that killed my interest in finishing the modern commem set.

I'm glad you were able to get ahold of one before it really got up there ...alas ...I sent all of my modern commems to Heritage for disposal and spent the converted funds on another focus .

I can believe the price increase , as although many have survived , they were not cheap then , and probably will not drop in price now , and there is still a rather interesting demand for these to complete sets ...enough combinations to keep this coin in demand within it's realm anyway .

Just my opinion , but I do not see a reason for it to drop in value along with metals should gold fall , which I'm constantly being told is in a 'correcting' state and should go up again as long as the economic indicators point to you know what outpacing inflation , anyhow ...happy you were able to get one when you did.

-John