• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about a grade on this 1853 w/arrows liberty seated qtr?

7 posts in this topic

another bday present. I don't like the color a whole lot looks dipped out(may look better inhand), but the grade shouldn't be too bad-I graded it at VF30. What do you think?

Thanks

Jim

1853W_ArrowsLibertySeatedQuarter-1.jpg

It appears to have the feel of a VF35, but the surfaces look somewhat porous like the coin was dug out of the ground at some point and cleaned up. Obviously, the coin has been dipped or otherwise lightened, but it still has plenty of meat left on it and the type is popular.

Hmmm! Looks like to me maybe someone used stronger acid, than just Jeweluster, to clean up corrosion on this coin. It also could be as TomB suggested and was in the ground (acidic soil) for a long time.

The coin has EF sharpness, but the surfaces are porous, which indicates that the coin was dug from the ground or perhaps left in an acid bath for too long. The net grade is VF, but most collectors would prefer a “no problem” VF, not a net graded piece like this.

The mintage for this type was very high (15.2 million from the Philadelphia mint), and there are a lot of circulated examples around. The coin only gets tough in strict Mint State. For that reason I’d pass on this one and go for a better example.