• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buy the holder, not the coin!!! OOOOps!!!

28 posts in this topic

I have a few also. I am not sure how I feel about them. Rumor (!) has it that they are graded more strictly than later varieties of NGC slabs. Any thoughts on this any one. BTW, here is an early, fatty slab 1862 dime.

1862slab.jpg

1862dime.jpg1862dimerev.jpg

I have owned hundreds and I have found that you are more likely to find a premium quality coin in an NGC fatty than you are in rattlers and OGH's. There are still a lot of consertively graded coins out there in old NGC holders and folks are really starting to figure that out now. I sold off most of mine not too long ago but one I couldn't part with was this one...

1913Obv2-1.jpg

1913Rev2-1.jpg

coins2046.jpg

coins2049.jpg

I had a 1913 NGC Type 2 in a newer NGC holder that looked at least 2 points lower then this....I really have no doubts that I can get it into a 66 holder.....but I have refrained from pulling the trigger.

I believe all those coins were overgraded by at least 10 points and I'll offer you that kinda money for the coins.... only because I collect fatties! ;)

4_1_72.gif

I believe all those coins were overgraded by at least 10 points and I'll offer you that kinda money for the coins.... only because I collect fatties! ;)

36_11_6.gif

Not all NGC "fat" holders will upgrade. Although, I have found that the lower the slab's number the better chance you have for an upgrade. I like to find the slabs that are below the 140,000's. I also like the ones that don't have the hologram!

4_1_72.gif

36_11_6.gif

Hey... I was being serious... I'd buy them at 10 points under!!! :kidaround:

I own about 150 of the no-line holders. In my opinion, they weren't conservatively graded, they were properly graded (in general). It says more about today's inconsistent grading than anything else.

Virtually everything I own in the old holders is UNC coins, but not expensive ones. I hoard them literally because they are excellent reference for my own grading skills.

I only own about 25 or so rattler holders, and think they are very overrated for being "conservative".

Finally, I own probably 25 old ANACS blue-holder coins, and they are simply inconstent. Some are ridiculously conservative, and others are extremely optimistic.

I've got a few that I'm going to send as crossovers. I'll post the results here when I get the results.

Iowa01292008obvM.jpg

DSCN6056.jpg

DSCN6055.jpg

DSCN6026.jpg

DSCN6027.jpg

All the ones I've picked up I thought were within plus or minus 1 point. Nothing special, I just like the mystique of the old holder. They are cool.

I have owned hundreds and I have found that you are more likely to find a premium quality coin in an NGC fatty than you are in rattlers and OGH's. There are still a lot of consertively graded coins out there in old NGC holders and folks are really starting to figure that out now. I sold off most of mine not too long ago but one I couldn't part with was this one...

1913Obv2-1.jpg

1913Rev2-1.jpg

coins2046.jpg

coins2049.jpg

I had a 1913 NGC Type 2 in a newer NGC holder that looked at least 2 points lower then this....I really have no doubts that I can get it into a 66 holder.....but I have refrained from pulling the trigger.

I don't understand why you've kept it all this time? I think it's ugly! Give it to me! :devil:

Chris

let me see if I have this right. You want to crack those out and have NGC regrade them, is that right? Your reasoning is that the old holdered (sp?) coins were graded more harshly than they would be if they were graded today? I'm not criticizing I'm just trying to figure out what's going on. Did I mention I take medication? lol

I have one fatty and it looks fairly graded to me. As best as my newbie eyes can discern anyway.

Love the CT coin!

I'll stick my two cents in.

I wouldn't let them leave those beautiful FAT holders!!! Especially if they're pre-hologram.

It looks like the majority here feel I'm insane for trying to cross these into PCGS holders? Not crack out but cross. If not same grade, or higher, at PCGS then back to me in the NGC holder.

It looks like the majority here feel I'm insane for trying to cross these into PCGS holders? Not crack out but cross. If not same grade, or higher, at PCGS then back to me in the NGC holder.

I'll just say that I wouldn't crack an embossed holder to any PCGS holder at all, unless you had an iron-clad upgrade of three grades or something! I bet not one in thirty extant fatties is an embossed holder.

that 1807 Draped Bust as an F12 is sweet. :cloud9:..!!!...I'll give you F15 money for it... :takeit:

and that Connecticut Commem...I've seen colors like that get a 67 (whether it deserves it or not)..the value increase for being in a holder with a higher number would make it seriously tempting to crackout..

I bet not one in thirty extant fatties is an embossed holder.

Sounds reasonable. And I'd say not one in 50 of the embossed ones is a plain white label slab like the one Kryptonitecomics pictured. (And about 1 in 10 of the plain white label types has the embossed logo on the INSIDE white core. I picked up one this past weekend at the Ohio State Show. First one I've seen at a show in two years.)

Go ahead... :devil: crackout that Connecticut commem :devil:....maybe you'll even get a free conservation or dipping to get rid of all those colors and return it to white....I hear that's been happening to a few lucky people lately.. :devil:

There's the only older NGC slab I own. In ms 65 (I cut it off in the Pic)

I believe the last time I visited my local dealer he had at least one, or more morgans in the original

plain white slabs. I will have to check back with him.

1954s65.jpg

1954sREV.jpg