• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My attempt at conservation Helped coin or destroyed it ?

Good or bad  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Good or bad

13 posts in this topic

Hi all..

What do you think of my attempts on this coin Destroyed it or helped it ?

n1848.jpg

18482.jpg

i have now listed it on eBay..

also how much would you have payed for it before and after (PS you have to buy it)

even though you would never have this kind of tat in your collection.. its just a game.. :)

It looks like that gunk has eaten into the surface of the coin, and that's what the lighter colored spots are on the after image. I don't see how it could have gotten any worse than it was before, so I would say you helped it.

Yes chad it was hard encrusted just like what you find on detector found coins. the lighter areas seemed to be where the encrustations had attached themselves to the coin !

I think it looks better but as Chad stated, don't see how it could've gotten any worse. I think I would've just left it in some olive oil for a few months instead of trying to just get a little off to make it good enough to sell. Not sure what your process was tho' Dooly.

It does not make a lot of difference to me. The question is it better with the corrosion spot or with the spot removed. I really don't care for either way so to me it does not matter. (shrug)

I think you removed a bit of potentially damaging crud, which could be a good thing, but disturbed the otherwise overall deep color of the coin, which is a bad thing. Either way, I cannot answer your question because I simply would not buy the coin.

Hey, Doley.

The poor large cent. I think it looks better though since you treated it. Hey, it's no beauty, but still a great piece of history.

RI AL

looks better, Dooly-next time leave in olive oil for 6 months and then clean with soap and water, blow dry and apply Deller's Darkener. I read this somewhere in regards to the Deller application, I know that the olive oil works through experience.

Hope it sells for you.

Jim

Dooly, did you use your magic elixer, a hammer and chisel on this coin, or just toulene and a toothpick? It needs further surgery before I would buy it.

I voted "worse," because, facial crud aside, I don't like the color that it has now.

I'll give ya 5 bucks for it, if you pay the shipping. :baiting: