• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Total newbie - see coin example

8 posts in this topic

Hi all - know next to nothing about coin collecting but have a bunch of coins my dad collected as a kid. I'm posting a pic of one of them to get some opinions. Most of his coins are American from turn of the century into the 40's. I know condition is important and have no idea how to grade a coin. Any opinions on this coin would be great. Thanks in advance.

1921Dollar.jpg

1921DollarBC.jpg

im not to good at this either yet but ill try.

im seeing an damaged/AU coin. there is the cheak mark drawing my attention,the splotches on lower obverse. and the rim dings that would i think body bag the coin.

I see a 1921-S Morgan dollar, grading AU, with some rim damage and possible environmental damage. Looks to be a B&W photo- color is important in grading as well, so if you have a color photo, that would help give a better idea of the coin's surface condition...

My local shop pays $13-$16 for common-date Morgan dollars in this condition...

Perhaps it's because of the picture, but the coin appears to be dull with no luster. I know that 1921-S Morgan dollars can come dull with weak centers, but this one looks worn to me. I'd give it an EF, a 40 if there is no luster at all or a 45 if it has some luster in the letters.

Thanks for the quick replies! My scanner was being finicky so, yes, those were BW pics. Here are the color ones. Clearly makes a difference - had no idea!

1921Dollar-1.jpg

1921DollarBC-1.jpg

The 1921 is noted for a weak strike from all three Mints (PDS), but this appears to have circulation wear on the hair below the ear and on the eagle's breast that would make it AU at best without considering the rim damage. There were more than 21.6 miliion of the 1921-S produced and it is very easy to obtain higher grade specimens.

Chris