• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

krause question!

10 posts in this topic

You have to guesstamate ant !!! BU in the UK means different things over hear i would class it as FULL mint luster.. MS-67+, and UNC could mean as low as AU-55 over hear

Krause isn't very specific...and often not real accurate for some coins...many of my sailing ship coins sell for above the Krause Catalog values....there seems to be a niche of fellow sailing ship coin collectors who drive these prices up..

Not all foreign coins jump in price from a 63-65 like US coins..alot of foreign collectors just leave them uncertified/ungraded so the value may be what someone is willing to pay for it--without any set guidelines..

Brilliant Unc..is 63...

Gem is 65

and Gem Brilliant is 67...however most people who use these terms aren't aware of the true grades associated with the proper wording....look at Coin World mag ads, everything is "gem" even MS62's..lol

which is why i needed to ask :P some think diferent than others. ms65 seems to be tha grade in this coin i have with pop of 420/54. so a 65 is GEM BU?

Krause prices are not very accurate for the series I collect. On one of them, I looked at a copy at Borders recently (I assume 2008 because I cannot remember) and the prices were about the same as in my 1998 version.

As for grades, the comments about numerical grades are correct. If you look at auction catalogues in foreign auctions, almost no coins are slabbed.

It depends on the specific country but as a rule U means MS-62 minimum and BU is nice MS-64.

It also depends somewhat on the series. Some are poorly made but those which tend nice are expected to be better than average. Unc coins in Britain will be downgraded to niceXF for things like poor strike, uneven luster, or excessive marking. Silver and copper 20th century coins from major countries tend to be very conservatively graded in their home countries.

In recent years Krause might be shifting their grading standards a little to be more in tune with US standards but you still need to be cautious. Prices in the home countries can be multiples of Krause and it's not always caused by grading discrepancies.