• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it Really Worth it in Your Opinion??

5 posts in this topic

Is it worth it in your opinion to send in good candidates to NGC for their "star" designation considering it's $10.00 each plus 2-way postage? Does anyone really recognize these as premium coins and worth more?

Dragon

Dragon, I would think it would depend on the coin. If I had an NGC MS65 1881-S Morgan with outstanding, killer color then I wouldn't worry about it.

ANY collector worth his salt will be able to look at that beauty and KNOW it's PQ for the coin/series and grade.

Now, on the other hand, if I had an MS68 1974-S Ike and thought it was PQ I'd go for the STAR. It does seem to play out much better on some Moderns vs the Classics.

Now, what I'd like to NGC really do- if they are planning on continuing the STAR is add it to circulated coins too.

Got to agree with braddick, dragon. Ultimately, it depends on how hard you may be trying to hang on to the coin or compete in the registries. The star can come with a bit of a fickle delivery, but ultimately, the coins designated as such tend to have tremendous eye appeal and I think the word is getting out.

Hoot

If NGC is serious about the star, they darn well better promote it. This means I'd expect to see more and more ads focusing on it and demand should increase.

If Dragon has to ask this question, not enough marketing has been done!

If they are in older holders that are a little beat up and you want them in a new holder ($6) then it would be worth the extra couple of dollars. If your only reason is to get the star designation to help out the grade/saleability then probably not worth it. If the coin is that nice then the type of people willing to pay the extra money for it will be able to recognize the quality without the star enhancement. I think the star is more helpful to the less knowledgeable collectors then it is to the seasoned veterans.