• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who says grade inflation is dead?

17 posts in this topic

This is one of those cases though where anyone who is considering buying this coin is going to do some homework and the grade should not matter. The coin is the coin, and MS 64, 65, 66 whatever should not have an impact on the value of the coin. If the seller decides to place some sort of arbitrarily high reserve on it, it will not likely sell.

And what's to say that it wasn't undergraded to begin with? hm

Scott :hi:

Judging by Heritage's pictures, which I know carries serious risk, that is much better than a 64. I would have no difficulty placing a 65 on it, and seeing it in hand it very well might be a 66. I'm thinking PCGS messed up on this one every bit as much as you are alleging NGC did, TDN.

I should add that the jist of my comment is in reference to the coin being rather Unique, and not being some sort of common widget such as a Morgan Dollar or something that just got bumped from a 64 to a 66, with the next owner likely not knowing the pedigree.

Who says grade inflation is dead?

I don't think anyone says that lol !

It was probably some guy praising the effect that CAC has had on the TPGs.

I just re-read the description, and it referred to the Boyd collection specimen as "that" coin. I think that this MS 66 is a different coin. The wording is rather poor.

I just re-read the description, and it referred to the Boyd collection specimen as "that" coin. I think that this MS 66 is a different coin. The wording is rather poor.

I think you are correct. I read it first as saying they were the same coin, but the plates don't match:

AN19668841-oz.jpg

I agree. From the wording of the auction description the PCGS 64 Boyd coin is not the same as the NGC 66 being offered. I am surprised that no "pedigree" is provided for this specimen. Is it a new discovery? If so, why not say so?

That is a good question. You would think that such a fine specimen would have a pedigree attached to it and could be traced. Such a pristine piece could not change hands without being noticed because of the gobs of green involved, could it?

That is a good question. You would think that such a fine specimen would have a pedigree attached to it and could be traced. Such a pristine piece could not change hands without being noticed because of the gobs of green involved, could it?

It's freshly graded as none shows on the NGC pop report listed by Heritage. And it's unlisted in Bowers. A new discovery?

It's freshly graded as none shows on the NGC pop report listed by Heritage. And it's unlisted in Bowers. A new discovery?

Or fresh out of an old old time collection that someone does not want mentioned?

I think the number of really nice, classic coins that have never been certified is vastly underestimated. Many folks assume that all the expensive or rare coins have been slabbed at some time or another, and it just simply is not true. I have seen with my own eyes album collections that would blow away many "registry sets" of bust dollars, bust halves, half-cents, other early copper, or early typesets. That is why I place little to no credence in "pop reports", except for generic coins.

We just don't know how much good, classic material is still raw, but I would say that it is a lot. The subject dollar could be such a piece.

I think the number of really nice, classic coins that have never been certified is vastly underestimated. Many folks assume that all the expensive or rare coins have been slabbed at some time or another, and it just simply is not true. I have seen with my own eyes album collections that would blow away many "registry sets" of bust dollars, bust halves, half-cents, other early copper, or early typesets. That is why I place little to no credence in "pop reports", except for generic coins.

We just don't know how much good, classic material is still raw, but I would say that it is a lot. The subject dollar could be such a piece.

I am not in the "coin trenches" as you are James, but I would agree that pop reports may underestimate what is out there. Just following Heritage it seems to me like every time you think you have seen the last great early type coin, yet another and another pops up out of the thin air. Sometimes entire collections of nice material at once. I would suspect that with the recent price increases in the better early material, the market may get flooded.

Don't most of the TPGs, such as NGC and PCGS in particular, say that coin grades among expert graders can vary approximately two grades on the same coin?

If that's the case, MS66 from MS64 is not necessarily such an oddity.

I would also ask how long ago the grading was done. I know a LOT of people covet, for instance the OLD "green label" (also yellow label) PCGS slabs, because the idea is that the coins they hold are widely considered to be under-graded, and I've seen many examples where people pay large premiums over the assigned grade to get their hands on those old holdered coins in hopes of re-submitting it to a either NGC or PCGS and that the coin will grade much higher by today's standards. Strict though they are, they are consistent, but there is an expectation of an upgrade.

Same holds true for OLD OLD ANACS holders, the SMALL ONES that don't even fit in an NGC or PCGS plastic box coin holder? People assume that ANACS standards were MUCH more stringent back then, and the coins in those holders will upgrade accordingly.