• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here is a coin that I know with 100% certainty is original

12 posts in this topic

How do I know? It was taken out of circulation by my Grandfather 40+ years ago and kept in a coffee can with hundreds of other silver coins. Post one that you know is 100% original for sure...

100_1564.jpg

100_1565.jpg

Technically speaking you could be wrong. It is 2008, if he too a 1940's coin out 40+- years ago someone else could have cleaned it within those 20+- years before. In addition your grandfather could have cleaned it thinking it was the right thing to do, you weren't around 40+- years ago I am assuming.

MBA101----- IMHO, the coin is a VF20--25 Walker that indeed is quite original. The coin seems to have all the appropriate hits and wear that would be commensurate with its VF grade. Bob [supertooth]

As I just opened this 1992 OBR, I feel 99.9% sure it is original, but is the only coin I feel anywhere near that sure about. Too, too hard to be 100% sure about any coin with any age on it at all. Great post regardless. Truly an original looking circ walker though. I luckily got to go through $1100 in silver when my grandfather passed away, unfortunately I did not get to keep it. lol.

1992LincolnCentfrombankroll.jpg

Technically speaking you could be wrong. It is 2008, if he too a 1940's coin out 40+- years ago someone else could have cleaned it within those 20+- years before. In addition your grandfather could have cleaned it thinking it was the right thing to do, you weren't around 40+- years ago I am assuming.

And he would too, have seen him clean a silver dollar before, but that was totally black. But I know the hundreds of coins that sat in this coffee can were untouched, many never even toning at all.

Great Idea for a Post. Although my father collected during the times when it was not unusual to purchase and/or "clean coins" with baking soda, etc. I knowu this one to infact be original since day one. My Dad was 15 when his aunt in Pasadena California sent him, and his two sisters the new 1932 Quarters, knowing that my Dad was interested in collecting and probably out of courtesy to his sisters. This one is in an MS 64 holder, there are two others, one in a safe deposit box in Big Spring Texas and the other in a Box in Clarendon Texas. They were kept untouched by all since day one, and this is one I specifically asked my Dad if he had ever touched.

Rey.

1932DObv-2.jpg

1932DRev-2.jpg

these were kept in a safe since the Civil War, so I believe them to be 100% original.

And this is why Mike likes his cons slabbed: fingerprints! :grin: