• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your best Third World Slab (NO NGC or PCGS!)

35 posts in this topic

I would like to see how many people have a really nice coin that is trapped in a slab that is not NGC or PCGS. I don't usually buy coins unless they are graded by the big two and I am too lazy to send my raw coins or third world slabs in for grading. Hopefully we have some other lazy collectors that haven't cracked out or submitted their third world slabbed coins.

Let me be very clear NO NGC or PCGS coins allowed on this thread! :tonofbricks: Please post your third world slabs with a photo of the slab if possible.

I only have a few coins not graded by the big two and they are all ANACS. I don't quite consider ANACS third world, but here it is anyway.

MorganDollar1886ANACSMS65969389.jpgMorganDollar1886ANACSMS65969389Obve.jpg

I purchased this coin in a signature sale from Heritage in 2002. I thought it would be neat to show the progression in photographic quality. I will post the photo/scan from the 2002 sale as well as the photo that I took a few years ago with my old camera. Compare the quality to the initial photo, and the difference is astounding. This coin is simply fantastic. The colors are light, bright, vibrant and just a wonder to behold.

Picture1265.jpgMorganDollar1886ANACSMS65969389Obve.jpg

OK guys, let us see the coins that NGC and PCGS have not seen. Post them please! :headbang:

Now that is just the coolest way to image a coin I have ever seen. It looks like an advertisement in a magazine. It is so cool, I almost forgot to look at the coin. Now that I have, is that scratch running vertically down liberty's cheek?

The second one is interesting, I have seen one of those holders in years. As far as the nickel, I don't know about that grade but it is attractive.

Great first response, Bring em on guys!

Now that is just the coolest way to image a coin I have ever seen. It looks like an advertisement in a magazine. It is so cool, I almost forgot to look at the coin. Now that I have, is that scratch running vertically down liberty's cheek?

The second one is interesting, I have seen one of those holders in years. As far as the nickel, I don't know about that grade but it is attractive.

Great first response, Bring em on guys!

Thanks for the compliment...BTW the vertical scratch is on the slab, not the coin. :) Here's some more images of the nickel...FWIW I agree with the grade.

obv-1.jpg

rev.jpg

An ANACS, MS67-5FS nickel with 5-5-5-5 full steps and nice toning. The MS67 piece de la resisteance of War nickels.

45-PNickel.jpg45-PNickRev.jpg

An ANACS, MS67-5FS nickel with 5-5-5-5 full steps and nice toning. The MS67 piece de la resisteance of War nickels.

45-PNickel.jpg45-PNickRev.jpg

that is one beautiful nickel!

walking3.jpg

Is this like the beginning of The Wizard of Oz when the movie was in Sepia?

Just jerking your chain after the You Suck award! :)

Thanks Mike, war nickels sometimes tone beautifully because of the silver, manganese not mixing well with the nickel.

I don't consider ANACS 3rd world either, but my one and only non NGC or PCGS slab is ANACS so here it is (I go back and forth on AT/NT).

Kennedy64DRevSm.jpg

Kennedy64DObvSm.jpg

Posted these for comment and ridicule? They were purchased about (10) years ago for $10 for both. The spots are on the slab, not the coins.

ACGHalf.jpgACGHalfRev.jpg

I don't consider ANACS 3rd world either, but my one and only non NGC or PCGS slab is ANACS so here it is (I go back and forth on AT/NT).

Kennedy64DRevSm.jpg

Kennedy64DObvSm.jpg

Sy,

Thats a tough one. The reverse is fantastic, but I agree that something about the obverse just looks a little strange. You should post this coin on my strange toning thread as well. I will not pass judgement on the originality of the toning, but I will give my opinion with relation to eye appeal. I like the obverse color, but I am not crazy about the pattern. However, it is definitely unique, therefore (thumbs u

Posted these for comment and ridicule? They were purchased about (10) years ago for $10 for both. The spots are on the slab, not the coins.

ACGHalf.jpgACGHalfRev.jpg

I don't think these coins are subject to ridicule at all. They were graded over 10 years ago before the modern craze. It would not surprise me if these coins are accurately graded. Now there is no way for us to determine that from those photos, but if ACG actually gave a 1974-S Kennedy Proof a PR68 then I say OK. After all, if you are going to overgrade this issue, you would have to make it PR70 to change the value.

I like them alot for $5 each. (thumbs u