• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1808 Capped Bust Half, Overton #, grade revealed with comments!

10 posts in this topic

Hi, Everyone :hi:

Here is an 1808 CBH I recently picked up at my local Coin Gallery. If you like to attribute this CBH with an Overton number, give it a grade or comment please do, thank you.

1808cbho.jpg

1808cbhr.jpg

AAJ :)

I would also say about VF30. Looks like it had some odd wear going on the top right of the coin (rev. lower left).

The 1808 issue is of the bried subtype I (1807-1808) for the CBH series and these coins are graded differently than later issues. Their design is a bit different and their striking characteristics are not the same, either. In my opinion, this coin is either has EF details or very close to EF details.

Its a really really nice O-106a. I would grade it XF-40 and would pay a slight premium for a coin that looks like this! Nice snag!

NGC should go XF40 on this nice Bustie. I like it very much. I would like it better if I knew it still had some luster.

Hello, Everyone :hi:

Thank you all for the kind words on my new addition to my CBH collection. It was bought as a raw coin with an "old school" grade of VF/XF. Pretty much what everyone who graded this coin in this thread stated. I think it leans towards XF40 IMHO.

The 1808 issue is of the bried subtype I (1807-1808) for the CBH series and these coins are graded differently than later issues. Their design is a bit different and their striking characteristics are not the same, either. In my opinion, this coin is either has EF details or very close to EF details.

TomB, thank you for stating this important fact about the 1807 and 1808 subtype.

I used a scan photo for this coin instead of a camera picture. This coin in hand does have golden highlights around the stars with light blue highlights on the field on the obverse and a nice golden highlights with some luster around the outer edge along the legends.

Its a really really nice O-106a. I would grade it XF-40 and would pay a slight premium for a coin that looks like this! Nice snag!
I thank you for the great review of my coin. (thumbs u

MBA101 was the first to attribute this coin as an O-106a, great going :headbang:

Some diagnostics for this Overton number, R-2 CBH are:

A die crack that spans the obverse from the left of the 1 in a semi circle across the bust emerging from the front of the cap to the milling.

Two other fine cracks can be seen one through star 9 which joins the first crack in the curls below the ear. A fine crack at the top of the first 8 which extends alone the top of the 1 across the bust to star 2.

The reverse, a fine die crack through the 5 to stem and the right sides of T and I are in line.

AAJ :grin: