• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can a reverse "carry" a weaker obverse, or just vice versa?

10 posts in this topic

In thinking about the "art" of grading, and the factors that go into it, I have heard and read that a fabulous obverse can help to "carry" the grade for a lesser reverse. Can the opposite happen? Is there a natural bias to the "head" of the coin, that the "tail" can't make up for?

For example, I was cruising ebay looking at a few things. This Peace dollar caught my eye. The reverse has terrific luster, moreso than many Peace dollars. The fields are superb, the eagles feathers are fairly free of hits, and it has nice eye appeal. I'd say the reverse is an easy 66 with how NGC and PCGS tends to grade these......(or the 50-60 NGC/PCGS MS66 i've seen in hand anyways)

130706022_o.jpg

but the obverse has the same great luster, nice fields, but the hits to Miss Liberty.....

130705942_o.jpg

Did the higher graded reverse carry the obverse to still equal MS65 (albeit maybe a lower end 65?), or did they miss the boat altogether?

I always enjoy hearing comments on the nuances of coin grading

Doug

Is there a natural bias to the "head" of the coin, that the "tail" can't make up for?

Yes, except perhaps in incredibly rare cases.

Much depends on the actual series of coins themselves, some reverses have diagnostics to look for to determine an overall grade, especially to determine a AU from MS or visa versa. The strength of strike on some reverses can and do determine a grade, one comes to mind is a Franklin half dollar.

Since the obverse portrait of Franklin is not a very high relief device and often weakly struck, the reverse is often referred to in order to determine the grade. Not taking into consideration of hits, ticks, scrapes or other post mint anomalies, here are some things to look for.

The little Eagle to right of the Liberty Bell equals strength of strike, depth or consistent bell lines, inscription on the bell, again strike or die characteristics, the bolts on the bolster of the bell will indicate wear/rub, etc.

This is but just one of the many reasons a reverse can carry a coin or detract from the overall eye appeal, there are many more.

Good question?

In general, it is far easier for a nice obverse to carry a weaker reverse, but harder for a nice reverse to carry a weaker obverse. In fact, I own a Washington quarter that is graded MS66 because of the incredible reverse even though the obverse merits no better than an MS64 grade, in my opinion.

In general, it is far easier for a nice obverse to carry a weaker reverse, but harder for a nice reverse to carry a weaker obverse. In fact, I own a Washington quarter that is graded MS66 because of the incredible reverse even though the obverse merits no better than an MS64 grade, in my opinion.

I just sold one like that Tom.....I graded it MS64* becuase of the monster rainbow color on the reverse but there were enough hits on the obverse to limit the grade.....NGC disagreed and the coin came back an MS66*. Funny thing is that I sent in another coin with matching rainbow toning on the reverse which was an MS66 and it cam back MS66* as well. The difference in the quality of the coins was huge but yet they both reside in MS66* holders.

I must say though that the Peace dollar posted is one of the most lusterous I have ever seen....really great eye appeal even for a white coin (thumbs u

When I took the ANA Grading class they always said that a reverse can never raise the grade of a coin but only lower it.

When I took the ANA Grading class they always said that a reverse can never raise the grade of a coin but only lower it.

That is consistent with what some instructors teach at the ANA class, but we must remember that the TPGs do not grade MS and PF coinage according to ANA standards.

While in the old days (1960's) your Peace Dollar would have been called BU or maybe even Choice BU (since it is not an AU slider) with the way the obverse is beat up it is no more than MS 60 or maybe a shot 61.

Here is a coin I picked up below bid that is a nice PCGS MS 62:

589a95e174dfb_58003-19042.50PCGS62both.jpg.652ef7525ae19d1c658a75ec4d2038a1.jpg