• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cracked Proof Case question - opinions needed...

6 posts in this topic

Hi all - relatively new to collecting and new to this site. I have a quick question I wanted to get some opinions on:

I have a Silver Eagle Proof that has a slight crack in the original proof case (from the mint). It was a gift years ago and I never cared about it much until recently.

You can see that the coin is beginning to color/tone, mostly in the area around the crack. Should I remove it from the case and store it another way? Or is it best left the way it is? It's obviously not as brilliant or shiny as a proof should be, but it's still not been touched.

Thanks in advance!

Jim

if you dont like what it is doing then you might want to swap the coins home :) make sure to use NON PVC material/flip. or just put into new airtite.

Tough break there. If it were me, I'd carefully remove the broken air-tight protector and replace it with a new one. I would also caution you not to ditch your original mint packaging material (which in your case is the outer box, the velvet case, and the certificate of authenticity). You really lower the value if you sell the American Eagles without the mint packaging.

Your other option would be to get it graded before it tones any more. However, unless it is a key date, I am generally not in favor of grading American Eagles, Especially if you suspect that PF 70 is out of the question. But in your situation, with the cracked case, I might send it in if I had other modern coins that needed graded at the same time.

I hate to be a downer, but toning is generally not desireable on silver eagle proofs. Must of my customers like blast white American Eagles. I'd write to the U.S. mint and complain if it arrived that way.

What year is it? Some of the years in the middle 1990's can fetch high dollars for the proofs.

Thanks for the responses - they were pretty much what I expected to hear. I think sometimes it helps to have someone tell you what you already know.

The coin is from 1992. My Grandmother gave it to me when I graduated from High School, so I don't really expect to ever sell it, no matter what the grade. I guess my real concern was that removing the coin from it's original air-tight protector myself (as opposed to having it graded) would totally devalue it. I don't have the certificate or outer box - I lost those when I was younger - I only have the velvet box now.

Thanks again!