• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are "Big Heads" so UGLY the top two TPG will not grade a 70

7 posts in this topic

Very few and far between ...

After negating a fe of my Proof sets I kept the IKES for a COMPLETE proof set of them. They kinda grow on you ...being so LARGE even in the holder. I still remember them as a kid ,,, huh ,,,, It was the special cores that go those and they were few and far bwteen then too ....

For Ikes, it was known that they were very difficult to strike. Even the number of Proof 70s are limited. One grader told me that there is so much field area that the flow lines can never be "perfect" on those coins, especially around Eisenhower's portrait. This is why higher grades (Proof 70 and anything greater than MS-66) are so expensive. Some people recognize them as "condition rarities."

Scott :hi:

Hmm, never really thought about the possibility of a coin being too ugly to grade high.....

hm

Nope, that can't be it. If that were true, there would be no PR 70 Presidential Dollars!

I have a complete set of Ike's, all MS 65+ or PR69DCAM. They are hand picked coins from 100's that I looked at over the years. They presently sit in a Capitol holder and have been in the holder for 5-20 years, depending on purchase date. Many of them have been upgraded during that period. The 1978-D is the only one of them that I will replace soon. I started the set in 1978. I think that they are quite an imposing sight as a set of crown sized coins which may not be appreciated much now but will be sometime in the future.

I really like the set in the plastic holder, as I do my Kennedy set (1964-78). Someday, I will buy the next holder for the Kennedy set as I have all of them to date, including proofs and silver proofs. Kennedies are not made for circulation any more and will be a more respectable set someday. I sold most my PCGS graded Kennedy registry proof set, however some of the coins are in the Capital holder set.

ikeglare.jpg

I think the "glare" from the top of Ike's bald head puts the graders at a disadvantage. Since that so-called "glare" was omitted on this coin, the graders finally got one right.

Note: not my coin

~wishing~