• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEWP: Civil War Proof

27 posts in this topic

With mintage of but 460, I think $1000 is one heck of a buy for this coin! Imagine if a modern mint product had such a low mintage, how much would that item sell for?

I hold the conviction that 19th century proof coins are one of the last great deals in today's numismatic market.

Now, if the coin only looks as good as the pics...

1863 Seated Liberty Quarter PCGS PR63

57813-1863quarterPR63.jpg.42eb39f6f5baa32de86a16da3de3c312.jpg

57814-1863quarterPR63rev.jpg.67c6e59549b3d5d103f616f6bb77b4ab.jpg

It looks beautiful and would imagine it is a PF63 because of hairlines that do not show up in the image.

Looks like you made one heck of a fortuitous pick-up! Just about anything 1860's in Proof is awesome to get.

I agree. This is now my earliest proof issue. :cloud9:

At 63 then the hairlines shouldn't be too bad as Tom alluded to, especially with the toning but....we will see.

Victor, you have been busy lately! First buying several of Hoot's Transition Signature Set coins and other coins from Mark Feld and now this coin. Civil War issue, proofs or business strikes, are very difficult to find in higher grades. I know, because I have been trying to find nice business strikes for several years now. That 1863 proof quarter looks like an original, beautiful specimen.

That 1863 proof quarter looks like an original, beautiful specimen.

Thanks, Charlie, et al.

I was very surprised to see it and was pleased at the price, especially since I got it for a hundred dollars off.

I think that this is one heck of a coin and one heck of a deal. Compare the contemporary proof half dimes from this period and it seems even a better deal.

Oh, my earliest proof is actually my 1861 proof trime that I got from Mark Feld a couple of years or so ago.

That looks very pretty. I agree that proof coinage from the 19th century is a good value relative to rarity. Congrats & thanks for sharing...Mike

With mintage of but 460, I think $1000 is one heck of a buy for this coin!

I totally agree, Victor.

Great buy! (thumbs u

Congratulations! :applause:

Victor, that's a great looking quarter. But I found another coin that you need for your set on the BST ATS.

1853 50c A&R PCGS PR63

Go on. You know you want it. It's stickered and everything.

(I have no affiliation with the seller in any way.)

Actually, I like your quarter better. It's much more original and it's a much better value.

57873-1853-50c-Arrows-pr63.jpg.7b75216b04c8c30ee80e73c1e5c901d1.jpg

It looks beautiful and would imagine it is a PF63 because of hairlines that do not show up in the image.

(thumbs u

Wow, Randy! What a coin and only 5 minted. Now, if every registered forum member sent me $10 then I could afford the $95K price tag. Come on, boardsters, hook a brother up... :insane:

Victor, here I was expecting a $5 modern gold Civil War commem, and you pop out with this Beautiful SL quarter. It's a Lovely coin! :applause:

I agree with you, proofs from the 19th century seem like a real bargain given their mintage. Congrats!

Very nice! Should make a good investment over the years too! With the Sesquicentennial of the Civil War kicking off in 2011, I would bet that there will be a surge in both collectors and investors of coins, and other memorabilia for this material.

Very nice! Should make a good investment over the years too! With the Sesquicentennial of the Civil War kicking off in 2011, I would bet that there will be a surge in both collectors and investors of coins, and other memorabilia for this material.

Very interesting and great point!

Yeah, I'm psyched and can't wait to get it in hand. :headbang:

I got this coin in the mail today and it is a choice, undergraded scarce proof!

Dang! What a deal! :acclaim:

There a just a few faint hairlines in the right field, the rest is flawless! This coin should be a 64 easy!

Oh, did I mention that it is cameo, too? I grade the coin PR64 Cameo and I have enough comparison proofs in my collection to make the call.

I got this coin in the mail today and it is a choice, undergraded scarce proof!

Dang! What a deal! :acclaim:

There a just a few faint hairlines in the right field, the rest is flawless! This coin should be a 64 easy!

:headbang:^^