• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nasty Scam Artist!

9 posts in this topic

Hey gang! One of my customers came in yesterday with a coin he had purchased on e bay

I can post a link to the auction later if that is ok with the forum gods

anyways... I didn't agree with the grade one bit.... and then I figured out why... someone was able to crack the holder... insert another coin and then super glue it back together... its not the best job... but on e bay who is gonna show the sides of the holder??... nasty deal there... but I figured id post some pictures. I have heard of it happening... but i hadn't seen it. It just proves that you have to be very careful. There is only so much companies like NGC can do... once the coin gets into the hands of the criminal.. the possibilities are endless.

9a4uvt.jpg

15x1oux.jpg

11c5jyo.jpg

5ansz8.jpg

We have heard of instances of this before. It is something to look out for no doubt

Why didn't the buyer just send it back it he wasn't happy?

The seller has a 7 day return policy.... and 100% feedback

Link

thats a good question... I kinda thought the same thing myself at first... he purchased the coin 2 weeks ago and apparently he hadn't noticed that something was fishy until I pointed out that the coin in the holder was technically an AU yesterday.. and i even made the comment that "the coin didn't match the holder" when i first saw it. Then we looked harder... I dont personally think that the seller was the one who switched the coin because your right... lots of good feedback.... just doesn't seem the type to do this... but who knows... I was more posting this not to tarnish the seller... but to just point out what I had seen...and by nasty scam artist... I ment the one who had switched the coin... not necessarily the seller.

7 days or not, I'd pounding on some doors with the amount paid!

But then, how does the seller know that the actual buyer didn't switch the coin out if the seller was not aware of it in the first place?

Or that the dealer that the buyer took the coin too switched it out while the buyer wasn't around and now the buyer blames the original seller?

Tangled web of Catch 22's :frustrated:

Last year I bought a coin from a well known dealer who posts ats and received a ngc holdered coin that was blatantly at and possibly overgraded (that is really subjective as we all know by now) and I happen to be in the habit when I see unusual qualities to a coin to immediately inspect the holder, the holder was indeed separated a little and when I put my finger nails in between the slabs I was able to pry it open to my hearts content, I stopped short of going all the way around the slab, and sent it back the next day (it was purchased on approval) without mentioning the problem via e-mail so he wouldn't turn around and possibly try to point any accusational fingers my way. I also received a coin in a NGC holder in the same condition from Superior Galleries who wouldn't take back the coin but only reholder it, the interesting thing about that purchase was that it was ABSOLUTELY OVERGRADED (sorry for yelling) it had corrosion in a 64 holder and ended up take a loss on it. I showed it to noted experts and dealers and nobody, I mean nobody would give me fair market value or grey sheet prices for it, I ended up selling it for 63 money. Interesting HUH! Oh btw Superior tried to blame me for the condition of the holder, they stated that it did not leave their situs in a broken holder, I tried to explain it didn't crack enroute because if their excellent packaging techniques so there is only one entity to blame, and I asked them to resubmit to NGC for grading which they would not do.

IMHO, Superior's business practices leave something to be desired. They have a no return policy on any auction coins and they can behave very arrogantly, IMHO. Their prices are usually very high for coins that may or may not be premium for the slab grade or match their pricing criteria. Plus, their pictures are of the coin that you receive but IMHO often don't look like the coin that you receive. Other board members have complained about their lack of return policies. This is strictly, only my opinion though.

The Peace dollar shown above is AU and not a very nice AU. I have several AU Peace dollars that would fool most people. An AU58, NGC dollar is shown below.

27-PPeace.jpg27-PPeacerev.jpg

Wonder how it was opened there buggers to crack when you want a coin out even my chopper fails to do it cleanly