• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm in shock!

18 posts in this topic

Has anyone priced the 1909 VDB cent lately? Just 3 years ago a MS 65 red in either PCGS or NGC was a $100-125 coin, now they are selling for between $300 to $500! The PCGS MS66 red was a $250-300 coin, now they are selling for up to $800.

Guess I waited a tad too long to upgrade. Besides the ridiculous prices, most coins I view were ugly, unnatural and not red despite what the lable said.

INSANITY ABOUNDS!

I'm sure that many of you remember when an equivalent 1909 S VDB was priced the same.

Sweet, I have a pcgs 65 rd, can't remember if it was a vdb or not and an ngc 65 rd which ever I don't have in the pcgs holder. So I got both and I can guarantee I got them for less than 75 bucks each! Of course that was about 3 - 4 years ago.

I learned that the hard way! Back when Jeff Tryka was selling so much of his collection, I inquired about his MS65 09VDB cent. I was offering about $125. I had no idea they were selling for so much! A quick eBay search revealed the truth.

I guess it's all hype for the release of the 2009 Linc commems.

It's most driven by the registries. You need on these for a type set. I've bought and sold a fair number of them, but have none now. The spot in my registry type set is filled by an EF 1909-S-VDB. It gets a whole 3 points. :banana:

It's most driven by the registries. You need on these for a type set. I've bought and sold a fair number of them, but have none now. The spot in my registry type set is filled by an EF 1909-S-VDB. It gets a whole 3 points. :banana:

Woo-Hoo!

I have a 65 red broken out of a PCGS slab. Kind of doubt it will get red again upon resubmission but it sure looks better than lots of 'em I've seen.

Nope, I didn't see that but I already have a 65 red and that's $100 more than I paid for mine.

I just looked at it and........Eeck! Ugly coin at any price.

I have noticed these creeping up over the course two years and am always amazed when they continue to go higher. I have an 09VDB in a rattler certified as MS64RD, but the coin is lightly toned instead of blazing red. It's unlikely I would ever pony up the money required to buy another.

It's not just the Registry craze, it's Lincoln mania. I've noticed a lot of Lincolns have moved up in the last year or so. I had a very chioce AU 1909 VDB that I bought for around $3 several years ago. I sold it on eBay 2-3 years ago and thought that I did well getting $9-$10 for it. Now I'm looking for a replacement for my 7070 and I couldn't touch one like it for less than $20.

Fortunately I completed my XF-AU Lincoln set around five years ago. I've been contemplating selling it off in this market. hm

Victor the value is in a nice RB or even BN coin. :) Great value for your money:

66RB

VDB1COBV.jpg

VDB1CREV.jpg

I have a MS65RD, NGC coin that I bought in 2001 for $60.00. I thought that was high then but $130.00 BIN on Ebay is steep.

For awhile, I looked at buying a high MS 1909 VDB. Every one I looked at, had some sort of flaw that just turned me off. I really wanted one. Still do now, but don't have the moolah. I still look, however, and still haven't found the perfect 1909 VDB. For sale that is ... Lee, the one you posted is perfect! You manage to find 'em.

You might want to also look at some lower graded coins than MS66 since we know the TPGs are not completely consistent. Here is my MS64RD, which no doubt cost far less than a similar coin in an MS66RD holder would cost-

B1909VDBP64RD.jpg

B1909VDBP64RDR.jpg

I agree completely. This may only be an MS64, but I will take it over most of the MS65 RD's anyday.

Lincolncopy.jpg

Under $100

On a percentage basis, it's the circulated coins that have gone ridiculously bonkers. I remember when you could get all the VDBs you wanted for what, a buck apiece at the most? That has been just three or four years ago. Look at what "good" bids for now!

just last year rons went to a VERY large bulk auction--they had sheets and sheets of 09 VDB's (they were in 2x2's and pages)...think the winning bid was $2000 for 100 coins...$20 each for MSreds