• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question 3

3 posts in this topic

I have a coin in my typeset for which there is no corresponding entry box in the typeset registry listing.

The Registry has one group for all Matron Head large cents (1816-1839).

But, in fact, the dates 1837-1839 are listing in the Red Book as "Matron Head Modified".

Different design.

I've got the coin (1838 in my case), but no place to put it.

What, if anything, can be done about this?

I'm a type collector (click on my sig banner to see) and I am personally thankful that there is not separate types for some of the experimental variations of the large cent like the silly head, etc. It would be cool in its own way but there are enough sub-types in the type registry than I think are necessary, especially w/i the Seated Liberty series.

So, to answer your question about what could be done. I hope nothing.

I agree to a certain extent.

But I contend that if a major coin catalog sees fit to list a variety with a major heading, it should be considered as distinct in terms of a typeset.

And the Red Book is a major catalog. It's where most numismatists point beginners to who want to collect US coins.

Oddly enough, the NGC Registry listing for a typeset includes a Variety 3 SLQ which the Red Book doesn't.

It notes a design change, but doesn't give it major variety status.

SLQ collectors probably knew about it, but it caught me by surprise.

CDN doesn't differentiate either.

What publication does?

Anyway, there's another coin I need to acquire which doesn't bother me. That's why I collect and have a typeset.

I'm lobbying for consistency.

And to me consistency would dictate that the "Matron Head Modified" be included, or the Variety 3 SLQ be deleted from the typeset.

Now all I have to do is figure out who to buttonhole about this.