• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1776 Continental Curency Coin Value ???

9 posts in this topic

I have researched this coin to try and find the market value as I'm going to sell it but the price range I'm finding is very wide. Does anyone know what would be a fair price for this coin ?

1.jpg

2.jpg

ThanX

Gary

What you have is a modern cast copy that Woolworths used to sell for $1. The piece is worth a quarter if you can find someone who would pay that.

The real thing in pewter is worth many thousands of dollars in decent condition. The trouble is there have been many, many copies made of this coin over the yerars, and a certified example is only way to go if you want to collect one. Some of my dealer friends who thought that they had purchased a genuine example learned to their sorrow that they had purchased a 19th century copy. You need some real expertise to fool with these coins in the market.

You should have asked here long ago since we can help tell you it is a modern replica worth about a dollar.

When I was Philadelphia last summer, I picked up a small packet of replica colonial money at the National Constitution Center, which is practically across the street from the Philadelphia Mint. There were three different items in the packet with one being a replica Continental Currency. The package was $6.95.

Scott :hi:

As soon as it opened up, my head jerked back and I spit out an "OH OH!"

Note: At least it's a copy of the more common pewter one with only one "R" in CURENCY and is lacking EG FECIT on the obverse (sun dial side)

"EG FECIT", which is Latin for "EG made this" is identified 'EG' as Elisha Gallaudet

50 cents is the value of your cast continental dollar

please dont get out and make any down payments on any new cars