• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1881 CC Morgan

15 posts in this topic

I have a 1881 CC morgan graded MS65 by NGC in a GSA hloder with certificate and mint box. I tried to sell it for 750 on Ebay and didn't even get close to the reserve. What's the deal? The books say it should be worth 8-900 in a plain slab....there can't be that many 1881CC graded MS65 in a GSA holder....or could there be many? Regards, Rick.

NO One has any money thanks to BUSH

Give it time you may get one of these Governement Rebates :)

If you are a member you can look up the count.

Many people on Ebay or other places don't seem to check the values of coins.I have seen people underbid and overbid.I have also seen people bid more on a coin then a corresponding BIN.

There are a lot of fads such as spending $160.00 to $200.00 on these 2008 S.A.E. with the 07 Reverse where there are at least 47,000 of them.

The icing on the cake is the high price of the Morgan CC.One can buy a generic Morgan such as a 1881S in MS65 by NGC for about $150.00. One can have a Registry on Morgans with just one per year and use the 1881S for 20% of the price.Another possibilty is that not know in the values between the 1881 CC in MS65 and the 1881 S in MS65 is that many think the 1881 CC is over priced.

The economy is forcing many people to sell whatever they have, not just coins, for peanuts. Right now, it is a buyer's market. If you don't need the money, then I'd suggest that you hang onto it.

Chris

NO One has any money thanks to BUSH

Give it time you may get one of these Governement Rebates :)

If you are a member you can look up the count.

GEE, in a way I wish that were true. hm

I've been bidding in numismatic and polictial items auctions with strong bids, and have been getting my butt kicked. It seems that middle class to upper income collectors have PLENTY of money if they are honoring their bids.

As for the 1881-CC, my observation is that the market for fairly common date Morgan Dollars is not all that strong these days. The Blue Sheet bid for the coin in the GSA box with an MS-65 NGC grade on it is $700. Gray Sheet bid is $835, but you can really only get that if the coin REALLY is an MS-65. If it is really only an MS-64 with an MS-65 cert, it won't bring the bid price.

The list shows 699 MS65 NGC graded GSA hoard1881CC's. That ain't many! I'll wait til Hillary is elected and make a killing. Regards, Rick.

The list shows 699 MS65 NGC graded GSA hoard1881CC's. That ain't many! I'll wait til Hillary is elected and make a killing. Regards, Rick.

Hillary????? :o

If you are going to worry about a Donkey Party person I'd say Obama is your man. :tonofbricks:

And if you think the economy is going to go to hell in a handbasket, gold would be a better bet than collectables.

It could also be that there is a reserve on the auction. Many people don't bother with it (especially on Ebay), unless the item is really really hot. Try starting the auction at what you are willing to sell it for, anything above is gravy.

I have noticed the GSA market getting a little soft lately...

the generic ungraded coins are trading between dealers for as little as $130-$150 with boxes and papers.

I have noticed the GSA market getting a little soft lately...

the generic ungraded coins are trading between dealers for as little as $130-$150 with boxes and papers.

Yes, this market is showing more weakness that most dealers are willing to admit. If you look at the Gray Sheet, you would think this market is red hot, but it's really only certain high flying segments that are beyond the means of most collectors.

I just hope the governemnt does not feel the need to bail out collectors who get caught in a numismatic market correction. ;)

I have a 1881 CC morgan graded MS65 by NGC in a GSA hloder with certificate and mint box. I tried to sell it for 750 on Ebay and didn't even get close to the reserve. What's the deal? The books say it should be worth 8-900 in a plain slab....there can't be that many 1881CC graded MS65 in a GSA holder....or could there be many? Regards, Rick.

Greysheet is, simply stated, too high on these, even in MS-65. I saw one exactly like yours sell recently for $660.

Do you need the money in a hurry? If so, I think $700 is more realistic.

Yes, this market is showing more weakness that most dealers are willing to admit. If you look at the Gray Sheet, you would think this market is red hot, but it's really only certain high flying segments that are beyond the means of most collectors.

I just hope the governemnt does not feel the need to bail out collectors who get caught in a numismatic market correction. ;)

:signfunny::D

What has Bush or any other President have to do with it? Only Congress can Legislate and has the Final say on Budgets etc and all the give away programs to garner votes. You need to stay off the brainwashing/indoctrination blogs.

You are going to have a long wait. Hillliary will be nominated only if there is a miracle and if Obama has the popular vote and she gets it then the Democratic Party will fracture just like in 1968.