• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions needed

13 posts in this topic

Do you think this will grade at the TPG's, and what grade do you think it will get? Also what would be a fair rice to pay?

NancyCoins019.jpgNancyCoins020.jpg

Is that a gouge above the 2? That's the only thing that I see. As for grade, I really don't know much about grading mercs.

Does the coin really look more like what I've done below?

junk1741.jpg

If so, I would grade it VF-30, and think you could get it certified with no problems.

Good luck!

I love Mercury Dimes. I have 10 completed sets in 'Whitman Albums and many, many rolls of duplicates. About 6,000 in all.

Your 42/41 looks like about a VF20 approximately. Could use a better photo but from what I see that is what it should be rated. Might even be higher pending the TPGS. Present prices at coin shows for that one is about $700 and up.

Ever since Whitman added both the 42/41 and the 42D/41 in their Albums their values have sky rocketed. Last coin show I was at last weekend didn't see any but the show before that one could not find one for less than $750 and in much worse shape than the one you posted.

It's an "old time" Fine-15 that will now probably pull at least a VF-30 if an not an EF-40. I've seen cleaned up ones with no more detail than this in EF-40 holders, but please leave this coin in its original state.

Do you think this will grade at the TPG's, and what grade do you think it will get? Also what would be a fair rice to pay?

rice.jpg

VF-30 raw 550 to 625 grains of rice.

If your thinking about buying this one, I'd go the distance and find one already graded...then there are no doubts.

Note: just joshing ya about the typo Harvey

$550 to $625 fair market value

Thank's all for the advice and as WoodenJefferson has stated I think I will pay a little more and go with a slabbed one.

Having gone through a Supposed "fake' odeal with a 1942/1 -

I think this is the ONE that is supposed to be the fake with the EXTRA one MISPLACED and then retried again with a harder stamping to try and cancel out the first MISSTAMPING.

Of course it is of my opnion and usually does differ from others.

The real one

57588-1.jpg

Supposedly the real deal as seen here...

1942over1Dime.jpg

I may have been to hasty in deciding if real or not...upon looking at your example jgrinz, and then at the other coin, I see a ghost 4 floating up and to the right in the fields of the Harvey specimen?

Is this "4" a normal diagnostic to determine genuine? (shrug)