• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1851 one dollar gold coin w/3 stars on reverse

14 posts in this topic

I have searched the internet for days trying to find a picture of an 1851 gold one dollar coin that has similar markings to my coin.

On the reverse of my coin there are 3 stars, 1 on each side of the number 1 and 1 at the bottom center where the mint mark goes. Can anybody enlighten me?

Thanks in advance for your help. - Terry

It is NOT a California coin. Here is somebody else's coin picture without the 3 stars on the reverse:

1061o.jpg1061r.jpg

Here is a "doctored" pic showing the location of the 3 stars:

1851_gold_dollar_rev.jpg

If this is a "fantasy" coin or a conterfeit why am I the only one in the world to have one?

It is NOT a California coin. Here is somebody else's coin picture without the 3 stars on the reverse:

1061o.jpg1061r.jpg

Here is a "doctored" pic showing the location of the 3 stars:

1851_gold_dollar_rev.jpg

The stars on the back are raised and are identical to the 13 stars on the face of the coin.

If the coin is genuine, the stars were added by someone after it was minted and it would be considered damage.

One other question, are the stars raised, above the field or are they incused, indented below the field?

Welcome to the coin corum. :hi:

If they are raised and truly identical to the stars on the obverse then it is probably a jewelry piece.

A picture of the actual coin would be helpful.

Terry, you have posted 4 followup questions and no photos of the coin. What do you want us to do? (shrug)

We Need pics...

MM