• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morphy/Legend Premiere Auction

22 posts in this topic

I'm glad to have another auction to review, but didn't see anything this time around.

Lou, could you be a little more specific?

One thing I noticed in the descriptions was that there were numerous comments, "Sperberisms" if you wish, like, "This coin has not been messed with." or "This coin hasn't been puttied like so many others." Why can't they just give us the positive attributes of the coins, instead of sounding like they are "sneaking in the back door".

Chris

And what is up with a 17% buyers premium????? :frustrated: Yikes

It quotes 17% in the catalog, and I can only assume that it is for absentee bidding. Online, it quotes 15%.

Chris

I'm glad to have another auction to review, but didn't see anything this time around.

One thing I noticed in the descriptions was that there were numerous comments, "Sperberisms" if you wish, like, "This coin has not been messed with." or "This coin hasn't been puttied like so many others." Why can't they just give us the positive attributes of the coins, instead of sounding like they are "sneaking in the back door".

Chris

Chris, sadly, the fact that a coin hasn't been "messed with" IS a "positive attribute" these days.

Chris

Chris, sadly, the fact that a coin hasn't been "messed with" IS a "positive attribute" these days.

I know you're right, Mark! That has become the trend. So, why can't the "big houses" start using positive and better terminology and start another trend?

Chris

Chris

I know you're right, Mark! That has become the trend. So, why can't the "big houses" start using positive and better terminology and start another trend?

Chris

Chris, I think that the big houses already use "positive" terminology, and in many cases where it's unwarranted/bologna. And, to their credit, Morphy has included some critical comments about some of the coins, where other sellers probably would have said nothing or something positive, instead. Why not speak positively instead of negatively about their efforts? ;)

Use both to make a description, well, descriptive!!! I have greater confidence in a seller--whether on ebay or a big auction house--who will state things like, "appears to have an old cleaning".."has a series of non-distracting contact marks that may still reduce the grade".."grade is accurate for a coin with this weak of a strike"...etc etc..

Chris

Chris

Chris, I think that the big houses already use "positive" terminology, and in many cases where it's unwarranted/bologna. And, to their credit, Morphy has included some critical comments about some of the coins, where other sellers probably would have said nothing or something positive, instead. Why not speak positively instead of negatively about their efforts? ;)

It may surprise you, Mark, but I think M/L did a pretty good job on the descriptions of those that I read. I just don't see where it is necessary to mention nonexistent issues. Are they afraid that someone will think otherwise? I know that Laura loves to get in her "digs" about doctored coins, but why can't they just say that it is "problem-free" and leave it at that. By all means, if there is a potential problem, it should be their responsibility to let potential buyers know. Otherwise, don't waste the ink.

Chris

I was reading the most recent Stack's catalogue last night (Minot Sale) and saw a couple of lots with descriptions putting a postive spin on negative attributes:

Lot 1447: 1823 O-101a. Rarity-1. Patched 3. MS-62. "Colorfully toned from an induced source . . . ."

Lot 1668: 1842 AU-58. ". . . . variegated toning possibly artfully induced."

I guess that "artfully induced" is the euphemism of choice these days.

I was reading the most recent Stack's catalogue last night (Minot Sale) and saw a couple of lots with descriptions putting a postive spin on negative attributes:

Lot 1447: 1823 O-101a. Rarity-1. Patched 3. MS-62. "Colorfully toned from an induced source . . . ."

Lot 1668: 1842 AU-58. ". . . . variegated toning possibly artfully induced."

I guess that "artfully induced" is the euphemism of choice these days.

Why don't they just call a spade a spade......................artificially inseminated.

Chris

I placed two bids. One coin is nice (CAC) and the other is an overgraded doctored pig (non-CAC). Overall, I'm not too thrilled with the software. I like to go thru a section and open up tabs for each coin I am interested in and then look thru them that way. This software won't let me.

The pictures give the appearance that you can click on them for larger images, but you can't. I also don't care for the image format with the black, then white, then cream, then black surrounding areas. Kind of gives me a headache.

Overall, a decent start.

I placed two bids. One coin is nice (CAC) and the other is an overgraded doctored pig (non-CAC). Overall, I'm not too thrilled with the software. I like to go thru a section and open up tabs for each coin I am interested in and then look thru them that way. This software won't let me.

The pictures give the appearance that you can click on them for larger images, but you can't. I also don't care for the image format with the black, then white, then cream, then black surrounding areas. Kind of gives me a headache.

Overall, a decent start.

Greg, while not ideal, you can refine your search here

Also, I presume you did scroll all the way to the bottom of the listings and see the larger images? Granted, they're not real big, but I just want to be sure you are aware of them.

Well, I batted 1.000..............1-for-1................and it was $150 less than I expected.

By the way, I spoke to Chris at Morphy's, and the 17%BP in the catalog was a misprint. It is 15% as it stated online, but if you bid via the eBay listing, it is 20%.

Chris

and it was $150 less than I expected.

What - no potted palm in the back of the room? ;)

I sold most of the palms...........15 Canary Island date palms, 2 Royal palms and 7 Christmas palms.

Chris

Nice looking specimen, Parker. I don't collect gold, so just out of curiosity, were you happy with the price? Did you think it might go higher?

Chris

I acquired it for $247 which includes the juice and shipping. This is probably about $25 higher than I would have liked to pay.

Everything being equal and this for US Gold Type Coins, I believe I can get just as good or a better deal thru NGE.