• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your favorite duplicate!

32 posts in this topic

I was going through my collection today and I found an 1884-O MS65 Morgan Dollar that I bought last year and that I absolutely love. However, I realized that this coin is not included in any of my registry sets. It didn't make it into my Morgan Dollar competitive set because I have an MS66, and it is not in any of my signature sets (not yet anyway). Therefore, I have a coin that I think is great but is not featured in any of my sets. I have been thinking that most of us probably have a few coins just like this one. So let's see em guys, post your favorite duplicate that is not in any of your registry sets.

Here is mine, the 1884-O NGC MS65 Morgan Dollar: I call it MSG (Mint State Green). The obverse is bathed in the most wonderful mint green patina with lemon yellow highlights over very clean surfaces and decent strike for an "O" mint dollar.

MorganDollar1884-ONGCMS65139037-003.jpgMorganDollar1884-ONGCMS65139037--1.jpg

PS. I took these photos myself today. I think my photography skills are improving.

Dwaine,

That is a really nice coin for a dup, beautiful toning. I bet the coin that keeps that one on the bench is fantastic. (thumbs u

Come on guys, I know you have dups, lets see em.

antique,

Those are really nice, but which one is your favorite. If it were up to me, I would pick the 1884 ICG MS62 PL, she is very pretty. :)

antique,

Those are really nice, but which one is your favorite. If it were up to me, I would pick the 1884 ICG MS62 PL, she is very pretty. :)

Can't really say which one is favorite. All are duplicates coins. My photographic skill really sucks. lol So i can't really show the coins as they truly are. Thanks for the comments.

P.s. IRVIN here (thumbs u

I've got a BUNCH of 1885, 1886, 1887, and several 1904-O's that are all from the Battle Creek collection.

Here's an MS65 to wet your whistle...

186_65_690_BRev.jpg

186_65_690_BobObv.jpg

Sy,

I was waiting for your duplicate. Anyone who collects rainbow toned Morgans has more than one. So this is your favorite huh. Didn't you name this the bandit dollar as I recall.

I would ask what coin could possibly keep this out of a registry set, but I think you showed me yesterday on my other thread. It has to be the 1986 PL Battle Creek. Fantastic coins both of them.

As usual: (worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)

Sy,

...Anyone who collects rainbow toned Morgans has more than one. So this is your favorite huh.

Actually, I DON'T collect Morgans, per se. It's just that I stumbled upon the Battle Creeks at their very first auction in July 2005 and was TOTALLY blown away by them. Due to a concatenation of events I was able to go to the next 2 BC auctions. The BC coins are mind blowers in hand, so as a good toning junkie I got a variety of them. However, since the last BC auction in January 2006 I've gotten exactly 2 Morgans, and the last one of those that I purchased was in January 2007.

While the above coin is A favorite of mine, it certainly is not my FAVORITE. I don't know if I have A favorite, as they are all so distinctive. For example, here's another 1886 only this one (MS63*) is a reverse toner that isn't even on my "Favorites" list, although I really like it. I certainly have a variety that are at the top of my list for favorites, but their order can easily switch around.

1194_63_518Bob.jpg

Generally I do not hold duplicates because they take up resources that be used for other, different items. However here is one of my few exceptions. It is a pair of Hard Times Tokens, Low 5.

Low5O2.jpgLow5R2.jpg

This piece was issued during Andrew Jackson's presidential re-election campaign in 1832. The piece on the right has a hole at the top so that it could have been worn like a badge. In many cases holes are not a problem for poltical pieces, but here it is because this piece is part of the Hard Times token series. There is one Hard Times token that is always seen holded (Low 172), but by in large holes for Hard Times tokens are a no-no. I paid about 25% of the usual price for this token because of the hole. You will note that hole has been filled with some sort of puddy. I've seen this before on 19th century political tokens. Perhaps it was a way to make the piece more acceptable or the hole less noticeable to collectors.

I've got a BUNCH of 1885, 1886, 1887, and several 1904-O's that are all from the Battle Creek collection.

Here's an MS65 to wet your whistle...

186_65_690_BRev.jpg

186_65_690_BobObv.jpg

Sy, I hope you spelled my name correctly in your will. :foryou:

Chris :hi:

Super Coins everyone (thumbs u but that image of Andrew Jackson on that hard times token is a little scary :eek: Still a very cool item though!

Super Coins everyone (thumbs u but that image of Andrew Jackson on that hard times token is a little scary :eek: Still a very cool item though!

Well, Jackson was a man of action who had a very short fuse. If you got on his wrong side, he was not shy about challenging you to a duel. Jackson was a crack shot which meant that you stood a good chance of ending up either in the cemetery or with a bullet in you. Jackson got what he gave too. He had bullet in his chest as a result of one of his duels that doctors could never remove. It resulted in a running open wound that plagued him until the day he died.

WOW. My first pic post, And I didn't know the pic would be that LARGE. MY mistake. I'm just getting my feet wet over here.

NIce colorful Roosie there PC. Just cut the size down a little and your going good. By the way, it usually takes people longer to post pics. I commend you!!

I got a little heads up on posting pics from another post. Or it would have taken me alot longer to figure it out. :makepoint:

Some lovely coins, everyone! :applause: PC I particularly like your Roosie!

Sy, I hope you spelled my name correctly in your will. :foryou:

Chris :hi:

So, Chris, you do know if you got that one you'd be out of the running for others like this one...

1162_64_BruceL.jpg

Fantastic Coins! That is another pretty Morgan Sy.

PC, welcome and keep posting great toned coins like that Rosie, I love it.

OMG, I found another duplicate and since nobody else seems to be able to pick a favorite, then I guess I can't either. Here it is, a little grape juice for ya.

MorganDollar1881-SNGCMS66560258-003.jpgMorganDollar1881-SNGCMS66560258--1.jpg

Uh oh, I found another one, but this one is not a Morgan Dollar. I posted this coin once before on the best coin under $20 thread. The photos are new and improved.

JeffersonNickel1945-DNGCMS65195699-.jpgJeffersonNickel1945-DNGCMS651956-1.jpg

PS. No Chris, you can't be in my will either! :baiting:

I enjoy Rainbow toned coins of all kind! I will post some more toned coins, I'm working on my photography skills as getting all the color to show up can be challenging.

Nice coins everyone. Here are two of my favorite duplicates.

1859 O Seated Liberty Dollars and 1883 CC GSA Morgans

Rey

AU-55

1859OAU55Obv.jpg

1859OAU55rev.jpg

MS-60

1859OMS60Obv-1.jpg

1859OMS60Rev-1.jpg

1883CCGSAOBVNoCase.jpg

1883CCGSARevNC.jpg

VAM 3

1883CCGSAVAM3Obv.jpg