• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Prooflike Obverse Morgan (A really cool coin) Post Em if U Got Em!

16 posts in this topic

Most of my collection consists of toned coins, but every once in a while I run across a untoned coin that really catches my eye. This is an 1880-S Morgan Dollar MS65* with a prooflike obverse and a frosty reverse. I bought this coin last year on E-Bay because I thought that it was really cool even though I don't particularly like PL or DMPL Morgans.

050508001.jpg050508002.jpg

MorganDollar1881-SNGCMS65Star562-1.jpgMorganDollar1881-SNGCMS65Star562-3.jpg

MorganDollar1881-SNGCMS65Star562337.jpgMorganDollar1881-SNGCMS65Star562-2.jpg

If anyone else has one of these, please post them so I can see them. Thanks!

Pretty '80-S, Lehigh. :applause:

I like PL and DMPL material, but rarely buy it. Given your known Jones though, here's one for you... ;)

1300_65PL_5290_8000_BruceL.jpg

OMG, a monster toned prooflike gem Battle Creek. If this was a horse race, your coin would be Big Brown. I can't even imagine how pretty that coin is in person, I know those photos just don't do it justice.

(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)

Wow,

That is pretty nice. I just checked the auction archives at Heritage and prooflike gold dollars are surprisingly affordable with respect to their population. It appears that they don't drive much of a premium over the non-prooflike issues. Do people not collect prooflike gold the way they do with prooflike Morgans?

Irvin,

I am dying to know. Did you have it graded and if so, what was the result?

Paul

Paul,

I have not sent this coin in as 90% of my Morgans are raw. I seriously think the coin will go 67, on a good day 68. Maybe some day. (shrug)

BTW Morgan Man that is a beauty. (thumbs u

Irvin,

I am dying to know. Did you have it graded and if so, what was the result?

Paul

I was going to ask the same thing.

Chris

Paul,

I have not sent this coin in as 90% of my Morgans are raw. I seriously think the coin will go 67, on a good day 68. Maybe some day. (shrug)

BTW Morgan Man that is a beauty. (thumbs u

Aw c'mon! Send it in to see what you get, then crack it out if you want. I voted in 68, so why not do it again.

Chris