• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest p/u: 1874 arrows dime

19 posts in this topic

Please, critique away boardsters. It looks like a very solid, eye-appealing circulated example to me. Care to guess the grade?

I will eventually submit it so that I can include it in my NGC type registry.

(thumbs u (thumbs u

57652-0000a.jpg.9a800a75537196a789a94af5290a28e1.jpg

57653-0a.jpg.f2bbc634caa377306f2d78cd99001175.jpg

Doubt very seriously it would go below XF-45...the remaining luster is going to determine AU status.

Nice looking original skin there Victor.

give it (thumbs u (thumbs u

While I like the coin, I do wonder where the luster is. Perhaps it is not shown in the photo? Certainly looks to have XFish details and it is attractive....Mike

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Yep, Seated Liberty coinage are quite hoggish when it comes to the registry.

TomB just pointed out to me that there are five half-dimes, six dimes, six quarters, six half dollars and two dollars needed for the Seated series. Whew! That's a pocketful.

I bought this dime as XF and have not seen it in hand yet. Woody, exellect point that the amount of luster will determine if it makes AU or not. Can't tell at this point.

It had a $200 BIN price but I got it for $170 raw.

I like seated types, but you're right THERE ARE JUST TOO DARN MANY OF THEM! As a type collector, I find it kind of frustrating, as I'd prefer to spend money on completely different types rather than the minute differences in the seated coinage -- I'm seriously considering changing to basic design types as a result...Mike

p.s. looking forward to the in-hand assessment & I wish you good luck!

I took one look and said "VF30" and I really like the coin. However, everyone else seems to think a much higher grade! :sorry: You tell us, Vic!

Mark.

I'm not even going to pretend that I'm your caliber, Mark. From the pics I think XF45 and, as mentioned, if it has luster then it may make AU50 but one can but extrapolate from a picture.

Howdy and welcome to the boards, Jon Sullivan! :acclaim:

Are you a pugilist, as well? :grin:

I had forgotten all about this post. The coin came back last November from PCGS as XF40. Although it's locked away in my safe deposit box, I recall the coin as a choice, original, thick-skinned coin. I don't recall seeing any remaining luster on it and I never did get any better pics of the coin so I still have the original pics from the ebay auction in my registry set.

Nice, solid, original EF-40.

It has too much wear to call it an AU. If there is some luster in the protected areas, some would argue EF-45.

It certainly isn't one of the most expensive coins in my type set but I simply don't care. I love the coin. The same goes with my 1853 arrows half dime. It is a lowly VF but I love the look and the toning. Why would I wish to upgrade it simply for more points if I love the coin as it is?

I'll give anyone this advise if you goal is to get more bang for the buck in registry points. Spend your money on high grade modern coins. Spending money on circulated to low level Mint State 18th and 19th coins does not give you many points for the money spent. I've learned that through experience. ;)