• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sets that can be a challenge, but NOT economically!!!

6 posts in this topic

I love CBH's, and I will do my darndest to complete my set, but I've never been a set collector, until now. I used to actually be against it, but I'm finding a whole new plane of existence by delving into the minutia of CBH's and enjoying the hell out of it. Boredom does sink in now and then, and I'm convinced that boredom while completing a set, is an indicator that I'm not fierce enough about the challenge...the REAL challenge. Not just filling slots. No.

Sometimes I find this whole CBH thing financially exhausting. There are ways around that, without 'settling'. You simply learn that a gorgeous XF is more difficult to find than a gorgeous MS 64, and that collecting a really really nice group of coins in more affordable grades is even more of a challenge. That's fun.

But sometimes, I fantasized about what I'm going to do when I complete this set, or if finances ushered me into having to sell them prematurely, so I've been looking through the price lists and am finding some pretty amazing things...

Did you know you can collect a complete set of Capped Bust Half Dimes in AU55, for less than $4,000.00 ???????????

Or a complete set of PROOF Mercury Dimes in PF66 for less than $5,000.00 ????

Or a complete date set of 2 cent pieces in MS 64 BN for less than $6,000.00 ????

I just love it....there is a LOT of opportunity out there for set mavens...

Any others ???

This is similar to the challenge I faced with the 73-coin beast of a set for VF Barber half dollars.

The Jefferson nickel 1939-64 short set can be very challenging also, especially the NGC set which includes all the reverse varieties of 1939-40.

Mike, I know that you are against the idea, but sometimes, it's OK to accept a cleaned or "problem" coin. I have some very difficult pieces in my collection that are less than perfect, or much less than perfect, but they were what I could afford.

I'm not collecting for resale, so I really don't care that if they aren't the best investment. Sometimes for me, the opportunity to advance the collection trumps everything.

Just try to find ANY 1802 half-cent with any kind of detail and "no problems" at a palatable price!

Mike, as you know I'm pretty new to the CBH scene. But like you, I am enjoying them like crazy. I like to collect sets - they give me a goal to work towards. If I have the set defined when I start, then I know where I am going and can work towards it. It doesn't matter if my definition of the set changes in progress, that's part of the fun. I'm collecting VF-30 to EF-40 choice original coins, and while they aren't that expensive, finding them to match my criteria for eye appeal and originality is extremely difficult. Obviously, this is a very long term set. The same goes for my Franklin set - they aren't all that expensive, mostly because they aren't all that popular. But finding well struck eye appealing coins is difficult.

a complete set of fine+ circulated flowing hair half dimes for under $5000

a complete set of flying eagles in mintstate 1857 1858LL 1858SM for under

$5000 large letters and small letters that is

or a nice choice au set for under $1000

hmmmmmmmmmmmm hm

a small and large planchet pine tree shilling in good-vg for under $5000

a nice type set of original vf classic head gold coins one $5 and the other $2.5

for under $2000