• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whizzed??

13 posts in this topic

Don't think its been whizzed, but it has been harshly cleaned. People do dopey things...

You could say it is a form of whizzing in that the surface was polished, but very crudely at that.

When I think of a "whizzed" surface, I think of one that is polished with a high speed buffer of sorts, one that could utilize a soft wire wheel or a small compacted cloth wheel with rouge polish added for the abrasive. These whizzed coins have a highly polished surface appearance to them...much like Grandma's silver tea pot after a good polishing.

This example in the auction appears to have been done by hand with perhaps 00 steel wool as the polishing agent.

It could have been done by a novice collector who was not aware that by doing so completly destroyed the coin, a child cleaning Dad's coins for him on Father's Day, it could have been done period time also, ie; during a period of time, "blast white" collecting was the norm/rage and coins that toned were considered just "tarnished" and an attempt to remove that tarnish ended in a disaster...could be many reasons, only the person who did this would actually know why?

The coin looks harshly cleaned but not "whizzed". The latter would result in a different appearance to the surfaces and "luster".

Whizzed or whizzed on................it doesn't matter!

What gets me is that the seller states, "What an excellent item to add to your collection." and "I'm not an expert......."

Par for the course!

Chris

The coin looks harshly cleaned but not "whizzed". The latter would result in a different appearance to the surfaces and "luster".

I may have used whizzed as the wrong descfription as most use it. I really was just using the word in reference to a very harshly cleaned coin. Whizzed was just shorter to write. lol

Any way one looks at it, I agree. Whoever ravaged that coin committed a sin.

I always love the "not an expert" cop out following raves about this harshly cleaned and abused "CC" dollar.

The three 'W' treatment was applied to this coin: Wire Weedeater Whizzer. Leaves a distinguishable finish. Yep, It finished the coin, for sure.

Jim