• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for any information on when banks started rolling coins.

7 posts in this topic

I'm thinking more alone the lines of US history.

Before we started making coins how were they packaged coming across the pond? Kegs? How bid the banks get these into commerce? When did paper rolls start?

I'm wondering the same questions about after we started making our own coins.

Lots of questions, I know. Any information would be great.

I seem to remember a post about this ATS. I will research to see if I can find the post and add the link here shortly.

In the case of early U.S. gold and silver coins, banks and other businesses submitted the raw metal to the mint, and the early U.S. mint made it into coins for little or no charge. The banks or the businesses then put it into circulation. The raw metal could have been in the form of bullion or foreign coins (e.g. Spanish milled dollars and the like) that the mint melted and recoined.

As for paper rolls of coins, I don't have the answer to that.

In the mid-19th century, I think gold and silver coins were mostly packed in kegs and boxes for ocean transport.

I recall seeing some pictures from the Central America site that showed stacks of double eagles that had been packed in boxes (and the boxes had rotted away).

In the early US coins were shipped in kegs. I don't know when they switched from kegs to bags. The earliest patents I know of for paper wrappers date to around the turn of the twentieth century, but I'm sure they were wrapping rolls in paper before then.

Matthew Boulton produced coins and tokens for many different clients in the 1790's to 1840's. He shipped them in kegs, but he also rolled the coins in rolls in paper before placing them in the kegs.

I'm thinking more alone the lines of US history.

Before we started making coins how were they packaged coming across the pond? Kegs? How bid the banks get these into commerce? When did paper rolls start?

I'm wondering the same questions about after we started making our own coins.

Lots of questions, I know. Any information would be great.

interesting question and i am researching this and will reply when i find out. :popcorn: