• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

early gold classic head quarter eagles; why so underrated and underappreciated??

11 posts in this topic

these 1834-1839 classic head quarter eagles are beautiful and scarce coins

why are they so inexpensive in relation to their earlier counterparts hm granted the earlier ones are rare but the classic heads are just so underpriced and basically not available in choice let along gem unc. :o

these clasic head quarter eagles are one of the most underrated; left behind gold coin types of the entire series of federally issued gold coinage

(shrug)why oh why are they so underappreciated and with hardly any demand from collectors (shrug):makepoint:hm

you need at least one for type :shy:

http://coinfacts.com/quarter_eagles/classic_head_quarter_eagles/1835_quarter_eagle_varieties.htm

I wonder if it might be that they are not widely collected by date. I would think that you said it yourself, everyone needs at least 1. I have one $2.50...a bit of a dog that I picked up on E-Bay some years ago but it is my "TYPE" example. It came back from PCGS in a body bad "scratched or rin nicked". Guess I should have whipped out the trusty microscope before submitting it...but I'm still in my slab "learning curve". doh! Also have a $5 that I got at the Boston, MA show ...also years ago. "Values" on these in circulated grades have really done very little.

RI AL

2505o.jpg

2505r.jpg

Buyng one of the Classic quarter eagles for type is sensible. Consider though, that half the dates in the series are very scarce and high priced accordingly. I would love to have a set of nice XF/AU coins but can not afford it. All the quarter eagles series are under appreciated, even the incuse designs. The coronet series is too long. The others are hard to find and hard to grade.

why are they so inexpensive in relation to their earlier counterparts granted the earlier ones are rare but the classic heads are just so underpriced and basically not available in choice let along gem unc.

The earlier quarter eagles are MANY, MANY times scarcer than the Classic Head type, which was minted from mid 1834 to 1939. Here are a couple of examples

1804QuarEagleO.jpg1804QuarEagleR.jpg

According to the rarity estimates provided in Early U.S. Gold Coin Varieties by Dannreuther and Bass, this 1804 quarter eagle is the third most common variety in the Capped Bust, Large Eagle series. They estimate that the total population is 100 to 150 pieces.

1829QuarterEagleO.jpg1829QuarterEagleR.jpg

This 1829 quarter eagle, which is the Capped Bust close collar type, has an even smalled estimated population. It is estimated that there are only 70 to 90 of these coins, which really about average for the type.

These two coins represent the most common, least expensive types among the very early quarter eagles. The other three are rarer and much more expensive. I have doubts that I will be able to go further from here.

In contrast the Classic Head quarter eagles exist in fairly large quantities in the circulated grades. At one of the FUN shows one dealer had two cases full of them. A year or so a go Heritage had a couple hundred pieces for sale at their table. The Classic quarter eagles as a type are really only scarce in strict Mint State.

Here are a couple pieces from my collection. The 1836 is in a PCGS MS-62 holder. I purchased it as a "virtual Unc." in 1970.

1836QEagleO.jpg1836QEagleR.jpg

This 1838-C is in a PCGS AU-55 holder. This coin actually has more detail than the 1836 because of the strike. Really nice 1838-C quarter eagles come with nice detail.

1838C250O.jpg1838C250R.jpg

As is the case with most 19th century U.S. coins, very few collectors collect these pieces by date and mint. One look at the price of the "key dates" let alone the common dates is enough to scare most of us off.

Also have a $5 that I got at the Boston, MA show ...also years ago. "Values" on these in circulated grades have really done very little.

If you would like to turn a nice profit on that 1837 $5 Classic head, send me PM. I think prices have gone up a bit more than you might think.

Also have a $5 that I got at the Boston, MA show ...also years ago. "Values" on these in circulated grades have really done very little.

If you would like to turn a nice profit on that 1837 $5 Classic head, send me PM. I think prices have gone up a bit more than you might think.

I agree. I bought my 1836 $5 NGC AU50 from Mark Feld in 2005 for $850. The price has practically doubled since then, especially since my example appears to be completely original with a nice skin on it. Numismedia lists it for $1780.

1786525-011O.jpg

1786525-011R.jpg

all great classic head gold coins!! earlier ones too :applause:

they might be small but if you have ever seen a better dated classic head

quarter eagle in choice uncirculated fully prooflike with a great strike

you would think the coin is

larger than a twenty dollar gold piece :foryou::cloud9:(worship)