• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEW VAM?

10 posts in this topic

Contact VAM of course. (That's Van Allen and Mallis, the two guys who pioneered the things.) I'm sure if you go to that VAM website everyone always throws around they will help you. Or put a picture up here and Chris will help you out.

Pictures?

You would have to contact Leroy Van Allen before sending it to him for attribution. I think he still charges $5 + return shipping. If it is a new variety, the $5 is refunded.

E-mail: vams@bright.net

Chris

I looked on there site couldn't find a plce to get in touch with them. I will try to get pic's for you guy's give me a little while, In the mean time Help me with my 1827 in US coins PLEASE

Here in the first pic we have a die die crack running through America along with a clash next to the upper left bunch of leaveves

18851.jpg

Here we have a spike comming off the eagles right wing left as we look at it

18852.jpg

And for the best one :banana: we have some weird chips/ doubling I dont know what it is (shrug) of the ear lobe

18853.jpg

I can't tell if there is any doubling of the ear, but it doesn't look like VAM 25 or 27. I need better lighting since I'm getting blind in my old age.

As for the die crack, they are very common on Morgans and do not warrant a VAM assignment. I have an 1899-O that has a crack that extends around the entire perimeter. I wonder how long it took for the die to fall to pieces?

The clashes are common, too, unless it is a "letter clash". The two that you show come from Liberty's neck (vertical mark from the "n" of IGWT to the eagle's right wing) and the v-shape of Liberty's cap (between the eagle's left wing and the righthand wreath.)

If you look on yours, you might also see a clash between the eagle's right wing and the lefthand wreath. This is from Liberty's profile (nose, lips or chin), or you may see one that looks like a spike extending southwest near the juncture of Liberty's neck and jaw. This is from the edge of the eagle's righthand wing.

Whenever I see these, I always look to see if there are any letter clashes. Look to the left of Liberty's neck about halfway down and see if there is a remnant of the "n" of IGWT. It would be upside down and more than likely you would see a trace of the bottom of the right leg. One of the more spectacular letter clashes is the "E" of LIBERTY on the reverse. It would appear between the eagle's 6th & 7th tailfeathers and the wreath to the southwest. The "E" would be facing northeast.

One thing about clashes that you should keep in mind is that they tend to fade from continued use of the die. Strong, bold clashes indicate an EDS relative to the occurrence of the clash. Clashes that appear very faint are indicative of an LDS.

Chris

Thank you Chris

What I am seeing on the ear lobe looks like a squiggly line

Sorry, Harvey, but I don't see anything. Where is it in relation to the dark circular spot just below center of the photo? NE? NW? Due north? Which direction does it run? SW to NE? NW to SE?

Chris