• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can you tell this coin is cleaned by these pictures?

7 posts in this topic

I can't.

Yeah, the coin doesn't look like it has any luster in the pictures either, but I wonder why exactly ANACS said it was cleaned? Do you think there are a bunch of hairlines that are hiding from us?

Randomly place 3 or 4 AU-58's on a mute surface, ones that have not been fiddled with and then set this AU-58 down with those and I bet it will stick out like a sore thumb.

Some silver coins that have been cleaned do not shout it out, but the evidence reflected in the surfaces of a cleaned coin indicate something is not normal.

I would think that if the graders suspected anything out of the norm, they would then have to go with that decision.

ditto.

the coin is au58 in detail and should have plenty of luster. the photo makes it look like someone melted off all the flow lines, though, that could be just the photography. Since it's labeled as such, it probably is, as it looks totallly washed out.

I can't.

Yeah, the coin doesn't look like it has any luster in the pictures either, but I wonder why exactly ANACS said it was cleaned? Do you think there are a bunch of hairlines that are hiding from us?

Bruce, as we don't have the option of holding the coin and tilting and rotating it under a good light source, we are at a distinct disadvantage in trying to determine what the nature, location(s) and extent of the cleaning are. But then, you already knew that ;)

Yes, Mark, that's sort of what I was getting at. Actually, the seller appears to be deceptive in how the coin is shown/photographed. I do sometimes wonder if the TPGS said it was cleaned simply because for something similar to what WoodenJefferson said...because it didn't look quite like an AU58 should look. The pictures show no luster, but then again I can see a bunch of 3CN that are AU and really don't have a lot or any luster, but also don't appear to be messed with at all.

Those images look like scans to me. Scans are very good at softening the surface details making reading the surfaces difficult. They also hide luster, so you can't really tell much from the apparent lack of luster.

ANACS is more inconsistent on their "CLEANED" designation than anything else. I've seen obviously cleaned, hairlined coins in problem free holders and other coins that looked perfectly original designated as cleaned.