• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MS 67 "W" on a dime

6 posts in this topic

W means "White." NGC used the letters W for white and T for Toned briefly several years ago on their labels.

You know, I've heard several times that they used T for toned coins, but I've never seen it.

W means "White." NGC used the letters W for white and T for Toned briefly several years ago on their labels.

You know, I've heard several times that they used T for toned coins, but I've never seen it.

JeffersonNickel1945-DNGCMS67Star-1.jpg

This is not the original holder they used when the "T" designation was in existence, but when they re-holdered it, they kept the T

If you want to see an old holder with a T, let me know.

That's because they used the T for just a brief period, but they continued using the W for a much longer period, so it is much easier to find a W than a T.

Another point about the usage of the T and W is that many coins that were apparently white had a T on the label while others that were clearly and lightly toned had a W on the label. While NGC used this convention, which was around the summer of 200 if I recall correctly, I knew of no one who liked how the used it.